• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel rim size?

Terry Kitzman

Local time
3:46 AM
Reaction score
I'm going to change out my 15"x7 American racing rims for Cragar SS rims, what is the widest 15" Cragar SS rim that will clear the rear wheel wells on a stock 1966 Charger with air shocks?

Ist gen chargers have a very open rear wheelwell, , and with air shocks you can run whatever you want, hanging outside the fender. But, if you want a modern look, with the tire inside the fender, maybe, MAYBE, a 10" rim with about 5.5"backspace would work. Frankly, I would settle for a 8/8.5 x 15, with 4.5 backspace, and a 275/60x15 tire.
I don't know what b.s. Cragar offers, but they were famous for not having enough backspace to get a lot of tire under the car.

Ist gen chargers have a very open rear wheelwell, , and with air shocks you can run whatever you want, hanging outside the fender. But, if you want a modern look, with the tire inside the fender, maybe, MAYBE, a 10" rim with about 5.5"backspace would work. Frankly, I would settle for a 8/8.5 x 15, with 4.5 backspace, and a 275/60x15 tire.
I don't know what b.s. Cragar offers, but they were famous for not having enough backspace to get a lot of tire under the car.
Very good information. Thank you. I have 15x7.5 on now, I think your suggestion is about what I want, I've been looking at a 15x8 set. Thanks again Terry

I have 275X8x15 with a 4.5 inch back space. Went the 3000 plus trip to the Charger 50th in Detroit and back. No problems.
I think you saw our car at Detroit. Thanks for the pictures.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back