Wheel studs for rear axle

Brakes, Suspension, Rims and Tires

1. Wietse

Wietse FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    6:17 AM
    Hey all,

Not long ago i ordered some new wheel studs to use on the rear axle and get rid of the L/H ones.
    Now received and looking at them they are different then what came out, i am assuming these new ones can only be used on the front (with disc brakes) of my car.
    See the picture, can i use these instead on my 8-3/4" rear axle?
    I am quite sure they never will fully engage against the drive shaft flange as the knurl does not run until the end.

image1.jpg

2. 493 Mike

493 Mike FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    12:17 AM
    Sure they will. The knurl cuts as it goes, should be no problem.
    Mike

• Agree Agree x 1
    • moes

moes Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • khryslerkid

khryslerkid FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

My Photo Garage
        Local Time:
        If you can, when installing the replacements, as you have them in the hole, turn them to feel the old knurled marks and then pull them through.

If you don't like what you have, Dorman handles hundreds of studs. You'll need a set of calipers to do your measurements. Napa has a lot of Dorman studs. I've gone on NAPA's website, entered the vehicle, and looked up the studs. The measurements will be under the description of the stud. Or you can go to Dorman and search your measurements. The stud does have a number or letters stamped on the back also but don't always cross reference.

What you have there should be ok. As long as after they're installed they are tight and not loose. A loose stud might fall out when putting your wheel back on or spin when tightening or removing. One cure if that happens is to weld them from the back. I even found some studs that the knurled area measured undersized. It's what you get now days.

The shoulder on the stud also protrudes through the brake drum, just even with the surface. I like to see that fitment also.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 7:46 AM
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Wietse

Wietse FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
          6:17 AM
          Ok thx guys, good info.
          Last thing i would need is to damage anything that causes the studs not to be tight, or loose a wheel while driving :(
          Once i've swapped the front wheels with the new ones i can start on the rears :)

Hope they fit though....