• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel type for spare

Y07Roadrunner

Local time
2:42 PM
Reaction score
If a car came from the factory with Rally rims, would the spare wheel be a Rally rim as well or just a plain black steel wheel??

Painted black wheel. I've never seen a car with a special wheel for the spare. All came with the standard steel wheel other than the space saver in the E bodies. Some had the red line tire, but nothing special in terms of the wheel itself. If you had disc brakes and the car had 15" wheels like the 68 Charger did with discs, then the car would have the 15" steel spare wheel instead of the standard 14" to clear the calipers, but that's about it as far as different spare wheels I believe.

Painted black wheel. I've never seen a car with a special wheel for the spare. All came with the standard steel wheel other than the space saver in the E bodies. Some had the red line tire, but nothing special in terms of the wheel itself. If you had disc brakes and the car had 15" wheels like the 68 Charger did with discs, then the car would have the 15" steel spare wheel instead of the standard 14" to clear the calipers, but that's about it as far as different spare wheels I believe.
Thank You !!

Also depends on the year. We bought a 75 Charger new with rally wheels and the spare was a rally.
As stated above I would agree that the earlier cars did have a plain steel wheel.

superbirdcleanup20182019 1342.JPG

I still have the original 14X6 steel wheel and polyglass tire that my Superbird came with and it was equipped with 14X6 rally wheels.

Post #2 reply. The 15” wheels on a 68 Charger are not for disc brake clearance. The 14” wheels will clear the factory disc brakes.

in fact all mopar muscle car disc brakes will clear factory 14” wheels. 1966-1971 anyway.

1970 broadcast sheets line 4 has a wheel code area that has “road” “color” and “spare” to tell what wheels came with the car.

here is one with different road and spare wheels.

View attachment 943063

View attachment 943064

View attachment 943065

5113AB2C-F23B-4187-AADD-609D1AD57712.jpeg

Last edited:
Post #2 reply. The 15” wheels on a 68 Charger are not for disc brake clearance. The 14” wheels will clear the factory disc brakes.

in fact all mopar muscle car disc brakes will clear factory 14” wheels. 1966-1971 anyway.

Cool learn something new everyday. Any reason why they were on there then? I know they were standard on hemi cars for sure. And then in 69 they were standard on the A12 cars so must be for width (handling) and strength possibly?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back