• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheels and Tires

jhutch33

Local time
6:43 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a custom set of wheels and new tires for my 69 Super Bee. I prefer a bit of a slight rake with larger, deeper wheels and tires in the back than the front. What is the best wheel/tire size combo with stock ride height? Thanks for any opinions/help.

20200720_124551.jpg

That is stunning. I wouldn't change a thing.

I agree and wouldn’t change the wheels.

I would recommend you lower the front end and at least about half an inch to an inch.

They only look right with the original wheels. That car looks perfect. Anything, modern, or over 15" wheels wont look right. My opinion.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the thoughts......I could keep the original wheel setup and just get new tires. The tire tread is fine, but the tires are about 10 years old on front and 20 years old in the rear. What do you guys think about replacing the tires with redline tires on those original wheels?

Redline tires look great, but by 69 you are into the polyglass raised white letter era. If you're wanting different wheels, I would step up to 15" magnums in wider than stock dimensions. 15X8 rear 15X7 front. Tires 275 60R 15 rear, 245 60R 15 front. This will give you the rake you want without changing the suspension.

Steel rims painted black with either just chrome lug nuts or dog dish caps and raised white letter tires. Will give your car a more street brawler look IMO. ;)

I have to say I'm a wheel and tire junky.I change them like every other couple of months.
Here is a photo of my old 64 with 16x7'' with a 4 1/4'' back space.
The are so close to a look of a 15'' you would never know the difference.
Some like 17'' and up . Not a fan as they kinda look out of place on a classic .

IMG_0818.jpg

OP - the Dodge like you have has a higher rear wheel arch, which to me allows a bit better look than Plymouth B bodies of the same year. With your car, I would either keep it as-is or go with 295/50/15 Rear and 245/60/15 or 235/60/15 Front. This would be my #1 choice.

Option 2 I've seen that looks good is 18" all around then set a 1/2" to 1" rake using the torsion bars. If you want you can now buy a set of 2" drop front spindles which allow you to get the drop with less torsion bar adjustment (which maintains the torsion bar spring rate).

My friends 70 Coronet R/T convertible had the OE 14" 5 spoke. I got him a st of 15x8 and 15x7 Magnums with 275/60x15 and 225/70x15. fills out the wheel well much nicer with same factory look. Something more modern? Billet Specialties makes a nice spoke wheel. I have them on my racecar.
Doug

new wheels.jpg

I appreciate everyone giving me ideas. Please keep them coming if anyone else has any thoughts on this topic. This might be a dumb question, but I'm wondering if anyone can clarify for me. Did 69 Super Bees have red line tires or white letter tires originally?

I think white letter tires came earlier to Ford and GM than they did to Chrysler. I would say that red line tires were still available in the early part of 1969 on Chrysler products. Just my recollection. I bought a new 1969 SuperBee, and it came with white walls.

I appreciate everyone giving me ideas. Please keep them coming if anyone else has any thoughts on this topic. This might be a dumb question, but I'm wondering if anyone can clarify for me. Did 69 Super Bees have red line tires or white letter tires originally?
1969 redlines were standard, goodyear speedway wide tread white letter may have been available factory, aftermarket for sure, polyglas white letter same deal. My ‘69 Gtx had speedway white lines from
factory, no cost option in place of red lines.

ANYTHING besides black wheels/black painted steel wheels!
Your fender tag will tell you what was originally on the car I believe, but if you want to change it up, the options are endless. For a 'period' look, Cragar S/S, aluminum slots, Keystone Klassics or TorqThrusts would be good. Go to a 15 for both appearance and tyre selection. 7s are no prob, you can do 8s in the back Im pretty sure with a 4.25 backspace. I believe a 275/60 will go in back if youre careful ; check the Tire and Wheel section - many threads therein.

Your fender tag will tell you what was originally on the car I believe, but if you want to change it up, the options are endless. For a 'period' look, Cragar S/S, aluminum slots, Keystone Klassics or TorqThrusts would be good. Go to a 15 for both appearance and tyre selection. 7s are no prob, you can do 8s in the back Im pretty sure with a 4.25 backspace. I believe a 275/60 will go in back if youre careful ; check the Tire and Wheel section - many threads therein.
yes, 275/60/15 on an 8" wide wheel fits the rear with no issues. You can also fit a 295/50/15 on a 9" or 10" wide wheel in the rear with proper wheel back-spacing.

I disagree on the black wheels as well as the fender tag showing what wheels and tires were originally on a car.

image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back