• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheels & tires...

olddog67

Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
One of the very few upgrades I plan on doing to my car for this summer will be changing the 14" rallye's for a set of 15" wheels. Im putting on a set of black circle track Arrow wheels, similar to a Nascar wheel. Im not sure what width of wheel or BS I need though. Ive looked through alot of pictures and threads on here as well. I think I will go with an 8" wheel but am looking for feedback from ya'll. I want a fairly wide tire on the back but at the same time not overly tall and still fill the wheel well as much as I can, something a size or two smaller for the front. What Im looking for is low, sleek and wide if thats possible lol

Any thoughts and pictures are much appreciated.

You didn't mention what the car was? Mines a 69 Charger, zero offset all the way around with 10 wide rims in the rear and 8 in the front. I've got 11" wide tires outback with enough room to go bigger (295s at least).

Rear 295/50/15 on 15X10 Cragar Street Pro 390 with 5" BS (-12mm offset)
Front 235/60/15 on 15X7 Cragar Street Pro 390 with 3.5" BS (-13mm offset) Would use 15 X 8 next time around.
IMGP0003_2.jpg

gallery_2113_43_138204.jpg

That looks very nice 67mopar!
Why would you go 8" over the 7"? Would you keep the same tire size & BS?

I just think the 235 might look better on an 8", that's all. It's just my opinion of course.
"Backspace" is measured off the outer lip of the rim, so it's constantly changing whenever you change the width of the rim.
"Offset" on the other hand, is measured from the mounting face of the hub, so it never changes regardless of rim width, unless you actually want to move the tire/wheel further in or further out, in which case you simply add or subtract the required distance.
I never use backspace measurements for that very reason... it's an archaic form of measurement that leads to a lot of unnecessary & avoidable confusion for a lot of people. "Offset" is so much easier to work with... my opinion of course.

Hey Dockins, I haven't got around to ordering the wheels yet. They are not able to get me the 8" with 3.5" BS wheel, only in a 3 or 4" BS so I gotta figure that out. I also want to make sure the rear 10" wheels & tires are not gonna rub the wheel wells to. I like my wheels to kinda tuck up in the wheel well. Little more research on my end and I will have it sorted. I will post up some pics when I do but it probably wont be for a month or more

In most cases, you can order wheels with any BS requested... what wheels are you looking at?

I want a set of black Aero wheels, similar to a Nascar style wheel. I called the race shop, only place that can get these wheels and that is what he told me about the BS. My guess is since they are a race wheel that is why the BS is limited.

Last edited:
Hey 67mopar, will your rear tires clear the lip on the rear wheel well if the car was sitting a bit lower?

Yes... it's a 14" opening with a 12.5" wide tire sitting in the center of it.... which leaves adequate clearance for bounce, or when lean into the corners. All cars are not necessarily the same however. There can always be small differences that might matter in the end, so I always recommend that careful measurements be taken beforehand.... you never know.

I ended up going with all 8 inch rims with a 4 inch back space on all. 255/60 in the rear and 235/60 on the front.

new.JPG

I was told the pro street comes in the below now. will a -32 off set work?

390 Series Street Pro Wheel
  • Size: 15'' x 10''
  • Bolt Pattern: 5 x 4-1/2'' & 4-3/4''
  • Rear Spacing: 4-1/4''
  • Offset: -32mm

You can "order them" with any backspace or offset you require.

Last edited:
That kinda depends on the wheel you buy 67 mopar. Mine are actually a circle track wheel and are only available in certain BS sizes. Mine are not DOT approved...but since I have used these exact wheels on my late model car I am not concerned. If I can throw the late model into a turn at 90+ mph with a 3000 pound car I think they will be fine for street use.

I was referring too the question posted by 66 Charger concerning the 390 Street Pro Wheel... which can be ordered with any offset required.

I have been looking around for a set of pro street 390's and nobody has them. Although both Jegs and Summit have estimated ship dates they both say the do not know when a new shipment will arrive. Jegs rep told me they may have been discontinued. Summit says they are not discontinued.

Auto Transport Service
Back