• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When do you get your best ideas?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
As a car guy, I often run into situations where a choice needs to be made or a problem needs to be fixed. I'm sure that you are no different.
In the moment, I don't like being rushed to decide. I can if I have to, as my job in construction often results in conflicts that have to be addressed immediately.
For me, I get many ideas while commuting. The boring drives that I used to have when I worked out of town did give me some idle time to let my brain relax a bit. That often let the creative side of my head come up with some ideas.
I have also had the great fortune to dream of a solution and wake up with a great idea.
What about you ?

Usually on one of my monthly 2-3 hour trips while driving alone. Other than that early morning, while it is quiet over a cup of coffee.

I have also had the great fortune to dream of a solution and wake up with a great idea.
What about you ?

I use to work with a mechanical/electrical engineering genius.... The company would routinely show him a problem that needed solving & the next morning he would have a solution... This happened so often we began refer to it as "Put it in his head & put him to bed" Unfortunately his passed away & left a huge whole both in losing him as a friend & losing his technical expertise...

But yes, driving, sleeping, just stepping away from the task at hand.... When your to close it can be hard to see the best solution....

One of the sleep/dream states and walking/hiking alone in quiet surroundings. Basically, whenever I am disengaged from my surroundings (sensory inputs).

Toilet time rarely results in any bright ideas.
I have come up with ideas while doing boring, repetitive stuff. Cleaning parts, cutting hundreds of blocks or studs at work, almost anything that allows me to be on "Auto-Pilot.

There have been many times when I end up on the internet at all hours in the middle of the night…if I don’t get up I lay there awake thinking about a project so I may as well get up and check availability and prices…. It works!

Last edited:
When I was working I had a relentless mind. Being in sales and marketing the job was always “what have you done for me lately”. Could never shut off the mind. It was whirling 24/7. Since the electrons were firing all the time something could come thru at any moment. Many times in the middle of the night I’d have to get up and document my thoughts because they might not be the same in the morning.

Nothing ever happened on the shitter though because I’m one of those - get in- get down, finish your business and get out guys.

I don’t like being rushed to make a decision. When I sleep on it, is when I get my best ideas. Can’t explain how but it works best for me.

When do I get my best ideas? Well, right after I fubar something and have to fix my mess up. lol

mages?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_tEA1Tm50PnbDP82bXH4XMY5sKSBx52SIygEe9Dfhvm4kwSqqS3gUle0P-m8cvDnO2j0&usqp=CAU.jpg

You are really proud of that picture. You've posted it a few times.

You are really proud of that picture. You've posted it a few times.
Kern, I see your keeping up on the subject. She is a great looking gal, but I'm afraid my mind wouldn't be going in the right direction with her around.

Auto Transport Service
Back