• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Is Your First Day To Mow The Lawn?

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
9:31 AM
Reaction score
I'm in Central Oklahoma. We've had daily temps between 50 and 75 the past few weeks and a little bit of rain.

My bermuda is just starting to show signs of greening. Meanwhile, the fescue has grown about an inch and will need to be cut in another week or two. Some folks are scalping their lawns now.

Checked mine yesterday, and think I'm good for at least another week.

Weeds, OTOH seem to have done very well for themselves over the "winter".

Spent an hour pulling, and barely made a dent.

Normally, I have to fight crabgrass every spring. So, I used Prodiamine pre emergent (it is generic Barricade) on the front lawn last fall and had less than ten weeds this year (small broad leaf weeds). Not cheap but a tiny bit goes a long way. I share it with family and friends. I highly recommend it. I learned about it from the Lawn Care Nut YouTube channel. He's living in Florida, BTW.

71A-UgD4SrL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Ya mean that some people get a break from mowing their lawn? :rofl:

I'll be thinking of you guys when I'm mixing up a gallon of 2-stroke. :rolleyes:

58500319-1028-42C1-A7A3-4CD10D1A57FF.jpeg
DA1FEA2C-0D03-4E02-B091-306700969396.jpeg
6D5E50ED-6D4B-4C93-BAED-F472C2BF4660.jpeg

Tax Day (4/15) normally is the first day to mow usually for me in NJ. With 2.5 acres to mow, that date seems to come too fast each year.

Go to wal-mart and find anything with the chemical 2-4-D in it. Spray your yard with it. Staying away from your wife's flowers.
This will kill everything but the grass.
If you have creeping Charlie this may not be enough, dandelions will probably need spot sprayed with roundup in the fall or dug up by hand.
I use some stuff called Gunslinger on the creeping Charlie, it's a mixture if 2-4-D and Tordon.
I don't usually start mowing until the middle of April, but By then I could probably bale my lawn.

Virginia Creeper is what I got.

I don't have good luck with "Round Up".

Virginia Creeper is what I got.

I don't have good luck with "Round Up".
Do you have an Earl May or something similar?
I'm fortunate and have access to make my own "cocktails" for hard to kill weeds.

Normally, I have to fight crabgrass every spring. So, I used Prodiamine pre emergent (it is generic Barricade) on the front lawn last fall and had less than ten weeds this year (small broad leaf weeds). Not cheap but a tiny bit goes a long way. I share it with family and friends. I highly recommend it. I learned about it from the Lawn Care Nut YouTube channel. He's living in Florida, BTW.

View attachment 584823

Will this really take out crabgrass with out killing Bermuda or St Augustine? I fight crab grass and dallisgrass every year and this might be huge in helping with that.

To the original poster, I am already mowing ever other week.

Will this really take out crabgrass with out killing Bermuda or St Augustine? I fight crab grass and dallisgrass every year and this might be huge in helping with that.

To the original poster, I am already mowing ever other week.
It worked very well on my crabgrass issue in my bermuda grass. It also works in St Augustine. Here is a list of weeds it prevents:

Barnyardgrass, Bluegrass (annual), Carpetweed-04, Chickweed (common), Chickweed (mousear), Crabgrass (large and smooth), Crowfootgrass, Cup grass (woolly), Foxtails (annual), Goosegrass, Henbit, Itchgrass, Johnsongrass (seedling), Junglerice, Knotweed, Kochia, Lambsquarters (common), Lovegrass, Panicum (browntop, fall and Texas), Pigweed, Purslane (common), Pusley (Florida), Rescuegrass, Shepherdspurse, Signalgrass Broadleaf, Speedwell (Persian), Sprangletop, Spurge (prostate), Witchgrass, Woodsorrel (yellow, from seed).

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back