• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Small Easy Jobs Attack

eagleone1983

Local time
9:29 PM
Reaction score
Is there anything more pissening then when an easy small job takes you forever because nothing seems to go right? Yesterday all I wanted to do was lube up all my joints, went to Harbor Freight to get a new grease gun because mine was leaking all over the place and I wanted a pistol grip one anyway.

Get it all setup and very first zerk won't let go of my gun. I tried everything, beat it with a hammer, used a screwdriver as leverage. Finally get it off after really cranking on it at an angle and it finally pops off. I figure maybe I'll just do that instead of trying to pull it off straight. The very next one the zerk breaks off...dammit! Luckily I kept my old fitting from the last gun and attached that, afterwards everything worked great.

I know you've got them, what small things turned into big things for you?

Bought a honda civic cheap because it needed a muffler. Went to the local pull a a part and took one off a junker car. literally took me longer to walk to the car than it took to take it off. One mount and 2 bolts in the flange. Got back home and the nightmare ensued. Broke both studs off the flange and ended up taking 3 hours to drill and tap the flange to install new bolts.

HAHAHA, I'm F'in ded!!! Going on 11 years now mine has still hung in there, helps that we both are into weightlifting/fitness lifestyle.
I have this figured out. For me and my wife's 10th anniversary I took her to Germany, and for our 20th I'll go back and get her..

Was dismantling a 1964 Chevelle coupe back in 1991. Every damn bolt was rusted solid. After 7 hours of fighting every last one I finally got disgusted and crawled out from under the damn car. I took the wrench and slung it away. It bounced off a sheet of plastic and hit the edge of the windshield, a perfect windshield, and cracked the damn thing. That really pissed me off so I picked up the same wrench and slung it even harder. Turned around to stomp off, just a swearing up a blue streak, and ran smack into a low hanging limb that I had snapped the end off of because it kept being in my way. It poked me dead in my right eye. I stumbled backwards and tripped over a rock, landed on the freaking windshield and shattered it. Cut my arm badly and had to go to get stitches. had to get my eye looked at too. I sold that ******* car the next day. lol. Last Chevy I ever bought. I never found that stinking wrench either...

Was dismantling a 1964 Chevelle coupe back in 1991. Every damn bolt was rusted solid. After 7 hours of fighting every last one I finally got disgusted and crawled out from under the damn car. I took the wrench and slung it away. It bounced off a sheet of plastic and hit the edge of the windshield, a perfect windshield, and cracked the damn thing. That really pissed me off so I picked up the same wrench and slung it even harder. Turned around to stomp off, just a swearing up a blue streak, and ran smack into a low hanging limb that I had snapped the end off of because it kept being in my way. It poked me dead in my right eye. I stumbled backwards and tripped over a rock, landed on the freaking windshield and shattered it. Cut my arm badly and had to go to get stitches. had to get my eye looked at too. I sold that ******* car the next day. lol. Last Chevy I ever bought. I never found that stinking wrench either...
Probably best you didn't find that particular wrench.......

I was sixteen and had a ford van, new, first oil change on it ,with a 240 six cylinder. Going to change the oil and grabbed the oil filter and tried turning it by hand. Didn't work, put an oil wrench on it and still wouldn't turn. Broke the oil filter wrench so I went and got a new one. Broke the new one. The filter was on so tight it just didn't want to come off. My brother said get out of the way and tried with another new oil wrench and it broke. So my brother runs a big screwdriver through the filter and grabs both ends and turns and cut the oil filter in half. Now I'm screwed. Fortunately the spot the oil filter screwed on to the block was an adapter that could be unbolted and removed. Put it in a vise and had to use a chisel to cut it from the adapter. This all took hours between trips to the parts store and cutting it off. Put the adapter, with gasket back on the block, with the oil filter and started to fill with oil. After all this, I look down after one quart and see oil running all over and realized through all this I forgot to put the oil drain plug back in the oil pan. Totally unbelievable.

At work one day was running a speedo cable up thru the bottom of a cabover mack with the cab flipped over and the door opened and hit me on top the head hard should have broken my neck .I get mad and take the door and slam it shut well the sliding window comes out and busts the passenger side windshield some days you can't win for losing .

nope...3/4"
However.....I HAVE lost about a dozen of those little bastards over the years...:rofl::rolleyes:

Hey Ghost . . . so that's where this extra 3/4" wrench appeared from nowhere . . . I've got it down here for you . . .

I was sixteen and had a ford van, new, first oil change on it ,with a 240 six cylinder. Going to change the oil and grabbed the oil filter and tried turning it by hand. Didn't work, put an oil wrench on it and still wouldn't turn. Broke the oil filter wrench so I went and got a new one. Broke the new one. The filter was on so tight it just didn't want to come off. My brother said get out of the way and tried with another new oil wrench and it broke. So my brother runs a big screwdriver through the filter and grabs both ends and turns and cut the oil filter in half. Now I'm screwed. Fortunately the spot the oil filter screwed on to the block was an adapter that could be unbolted and removed. Put it in a vise and had to use a chisel to cut it from the adapter. This all took hours between trips to the parts store and cutting it off. Put the adapter, with gasket back on the block, with the oil filter and started to fill with oil. After all this, I look down after one quart and see oil running all over and realized through all this I forgot to put the oil drain plug back in the oil pan. Totally unbelievable.

I've cut many off with a chisel because some gorilla over tightened it.

Tightening header bolts (5 minute job) and the 3/8 socket slipped off and fell into the abyss. It did not hit the floor. Took 45 minutes to find it wedged up behind the motor mount.

Replacing a seat track stud. Plan was to cut the old one off flush, drill, tap and spot weld a new stud in. Nope. Broke 2 drill bits and broke the tap right off. Dicked with it for an hour before I got it fixed.

My favorite is breaking the bleeder screw off of a brake cylinder. That turned into a 2 hour mess.

I have a bunch of these:mad:

Did a brake job for a neighbor
It took much longer just to get the wheels off the car then it did to do the brakes on both wheels.
Some sob must of used a 3/4 truck impact on the lugs. They were on so tight I was amazed they weren't broken off when put on.
Took me jumping with full weight on the crossbar to get them to brake free
Every last one.
After I got them off in the 90 degree weather I felt like calling it quits..

Hey Ghost . . . so that's where this extra 3/4" wrench appeared from nowhere . . . I've got it down here for you . . .
That would have been a short throw, from SC, I really hurled that wrench....probably at the bottom of the Marianas Trench....

Back in the day, we had a '68 Chevy Impala come in the shop for the annual safety inspection. The downpipe had a hole in it so it needed replaced.

Snapped off one of the manifold flange bolts and couldn't get to it with a drill. So we go to take the manifold off of the head and broke off one of those bolts. Couldn't get to that bolt to drill it so we had to remove the head. Removing the head, one of those bolts broke off in the block!

The guy I was working with about lost his mind. Luckily I used my fingernails to grip the thread and turned the head bolt out. The other ones were drilled out and tapped. All that just for a downpipe replacement.

Funny how you never forget those jobs!
mechanic-smiley-emoticon.gif

Back in the day, we had a '68 Chevy Impala come in the shop for the annual safety inspection. The downpipe had a hole in it so it needed replaced.

Snapped off one of the manifold flange bolts and couldn't get to it with a drill. So we go to take the manifold off of the head and broke off one of those bolts. Couldn't get to that bolt to drill it so we had to remove the head. Removing the head, one of those bolts broke off in the block!

The guy I was working with about lost his mind. Luckily I used my fingernails to grip the thread and turned the head bolt out. The other ones were drilled out and tapped. All that just for a downpipe replacement.

Funny how you never forget those jobs! View attachment 809509
Now that's screwed up!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back