• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When to paint coated headers?

thequickster

Local time
8:06 AM
Reaction score
So I just got my hooker headers in for my 440 and they are the ones with the black paint that burns off after some use. I want to paint them with high temp white paint and I was wondering if the white paint will be ruined by the paint that's made to burn off, do I need to run them then take off and paint . Should I try to take the original black paint off, I have no idea.

Thank you -TheQuickster

See if you can find someone who does white-ceramic for exhaust. All paint comes off.

Yep, whatever coating you put on top will only stick as well as the black paint that's already on there, so it will need to be removed first. I'm not sure what type of paint it is, buy you might see if you can just wipe it off with solvent & a shop rag first. I'd first try either toluene or xylene and if that didn't do it, blend whichever one you bought with methyl ethyl ketone (MEK). The blend ratio would be 3 parts toluene/xylene to 1 part MEK. Now that I think of it, regular old carburetor cleaner might take it off....worth a try.

Mine old Hedmans was sandblasted and i paint with VHT flame proof aluminium spray paint. They need after curing in three steps. When i started first time headers glowe red(12 degrees idle advance) Now i run 20 degrees idle advance and after hard running i measure temp. headers is 570F. and paint is perfect(sry my bad english)
20170131_194319_001small.jpg
:
20170208_200952_001small.jpg

I got mine in unpainted raw steel and used the VHT hedder paint. Holding up well and can be touched up after installing/scratching up. Sand blast the black paint before VHT or use thinner like said. Scuff with a Scotch Brite pad..

I did the Sandersons on my wifes Mustang with the VHT silver header paint, has about 2k mikes on it without any flaking or burned spots.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try good ole brake cleaner and if that's doesn't work I might sandblast.
It's my first time dealing with headers so I was pretty lost.

Thanks- TheQuickster

Don't waste your time with chemicals and scrubbing. Find a local powder coat shop, and have them sand blast the paint off. It cost me a whoping $35 to get both sides done. Then go to a good hot rod shop and buy VHT spray paint. It order it on line.
It will save you hours of frustration and will look professional when done.

Auto Transport Service
Back