• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When were shock towers put on at factory? 68 B body

68_661charger

Local time
3:07 AM
Reaction score
Were shock towers welded to frame rail on the car or were they done on a jig? I'm asking because I'm replacing a drivers side front frame rail and shock tower on a 68 Charger with one from a 68 Coronet. I'm using the service manual/ plumb bobs to place and measure rail plus bolting in the k frame, but the Coronet shock tower seems to be set 1/8" back from the shock tower on old rusty rail. Any problems with this? Am I basically just building in more positive castor on drivers side?

I've actually heard from a collision repair shop that also restores classic gm cars, manly 66/67 chevelles-

That most factory dimensions have a more forward position on the pass side.....to help with the crowning of roads.

Not 100% sure if that's true or applies here but it bade sense when I herd it and I kind of trust that guy's advice.

There are frame dimensions in the FSM. I do not recall any set back differences on the left side. I would imagine the factory had some sort of jig that they positioned all the parts and welded them in.

I've rerad that the factory tollerances back then were pretty generous...+/- 1/4" to 3/8"

1/8" I would not worry about. However, if you can move it rearward without being too far aft of the passenger side I would I would move it, or keep it, because it will add to more caster, which equals more stability. Run it.

Thanks for all the replys. Yes all the way back and I hit the fsm numbers on the rail. I can just tell the shock tower is back the 1/8th just by where it hits the inner fender, plus the tape. To the naked eye, I don't see much different. I'm going to have to run it as I don't feel great about pulling the whole deal forward and making the plumb bob numbers wrong on a hunch then maybe not being able to get much castor.

You should try to mock up the inner fender panel and core support to see how it all fits together.

Last edited:
Mopar is 5/8s set back on the drivers side to help stability. Or rather the passenger wheel is 5/8s ahead. Kim
Where do you see that information? 4 wheel alignment does not show it.

Auto Transport Service
Back