• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will it all end?

DodgeBee

Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
So today in 2018 you can buy a cheap 69 charger for about 15k and i was thinking to myself. When will the days of ridiculously overpriced mopars end and finally give the younger generation (like myself)a chance to enjoy these works of art?

as long as people keep paying stupid money for rust buckets , they will keep selling for stupid money. sooner or later , the well will run dry , and it will get even worse. once AMD or dynacorn offers a 68-70 charger kit car in a box , it might level out

It won’t end.I bought a 70 charger runnin for 23k.Complete piece of trash.Im into it 6 years later almost ready for paint.Im glad I bought it.It was my gift for sobering up getting my priorities in line taking care of my wife buying a house and building a garage.Get a good job go to school.I worked my *** to build the car and keep my money going into something worth while instead of up my nose or down my throat. I felt the same and once I started take charge of my life it came to me. I’m glad I built it and didn’t give up, or whine there to much to buy.People talk themselves out of buying a car.I spent more in the long run building it, but I know what I got

FA5A6084-2E6F-4F6A-B0F5-DEA184D1E29E.jpeg

This car was advertised for $2500 in March of 2000.
CH 2000.jpg

It had a shredded vinyl top. I scraped it off.
CH 2000 E.jpg

Lucky for me, it was complete and had a near perfect grille.

1A.JPG

Originally a "500" model. 1F.JPG

I offered $1700 and the man accepted.
1DA.JPG

1D.JPG

The next recession will show us whether this is a this is a permanent trend or if these are temporary and disposable interests.

They are collectable for sure and will continue to appreciate over the long term, but a dip in the economy will uncover some deals.

IMO, save your nickels and bide your time.

The market for 68-70 Chargers EXPLODED after the Fast And Furious movies came out. Many car guys scoff at those movies but they raised a lot of interest in these cars. In 2000 when I decided that I wanted to buy a Charger, I first considered a 68 model. A friend of a friend had one for $1800 that ran and drove but had a shredded interior. (BFD) He had a deposit on the car and even though the "buyer" hadn't been heard from in months, the seller wouldn't consider other offers until he heard back from the dude.
Look at the same year Coronets and Satellite cars. They did not increase in value nearly as fast as these cars have. Great cars, all of them but the TV and movie mystique surrounds the 68-70 Chargers.

Nice Car man, what’s your secret? You must have a good job to build it.Mine was welding.It gives me the money to build the car and restore it.I will only speak to my trade and what I know.Find a trade school and learn Open root pipe. Get in the union down there and go into the big petrochemical plants and start welding.They will roll out the red carpet.If your young enough go to a school that teaches under water welding and go for it.Those are high paying jobs in America and there taught by the best welders in America.Good luck and don’t give up

Well I was looking for quite a while, Craigslist add, I was the first one there. 68 Charger. And behind me the man said there were 8 others, that were waiting in line. I was watching eBay also and a lot of people bidding on the 68 69 and 70 Chargers. So don’t wait it and add comes up and bring your cash.

The next recession will show us whether this is a this is a permanent trend or if these are temporary and disposable interests.

Maybe.....Maybe not. The 2008- recession did not seem to have an effect on the meteoric rise.

This hobby will continue to go up in prices regardless if there is a recession or not. There will be just less cars selling for a short period of time until the economy gets back together when there is a correction by Wall Street. For me, part of the reason is that parts keep going up in price since there are less and less of these wonderful gems to be found in the yards as are their parts. I love this hobby. Bought our Charger for 4k, and so far have probably 20k into it. I don't care because I love this hobby! and I love the looks of the cars! I wish I could afford to grab a 2nd gen Charger. OK, gotta get another cup of coffee....:luvplace::drinks:

sorry,its not going to end anytime soon
if getting one of these cars is your goal and you cannot afford it
besides saving your pennies my suggestion is to start learning to weld and do bodywork
as you are going to have to chip in your labor and time to reduce the initial buy in.
what i mean is buy the cheapest roach you can find
and spend a decade piecing it all together..
how bad do you want it???
There is almost always a way
good luck..

Last edited:
So today in 2018 you can buy a cheap 69 charger for about 15k and i was thinking to myself. When will the days of ridiculously overpriced mopars end and finally give the younger generation (like myself)a chance to enjoy these works of art?
When will i be able to buy one of these for reasonable money? Maybe never.

20160726_115706.jpg

Get yourself a second job. Work overtime when possible. Any bonuses,tax refunds,birthday money, etc needs to get squirrelled away. Get a 3rd part time job. Ditch satellite tv. Get a better job. Pretty easy once you get rolling. If you are lazy go buy a lottery ticket.

The million dollar question is when the core audience for these b bodies begins to "age out" of the hobby what will the value do? The younger generations who don't know what these cars are should diminish the value due to lesser demand i.e. this was not their dream car growing up. Seeing it already in the 40's and 50's vintage cars at auction. Then again, who knows....

Did anyone see that 69 Bee at Mecum Harrisburg? 383 car with a ton of things not correct go for 65k???!!!!

It won’t end.I bought a 70 charger runnin for 23k.Complete piece of trash.Im into it 6 years later almost ready for paint.Im glad I bought it.It was my gift for sobering up getting my priorities in line taking care of my wife buying a house and building a garage.Get a good job go to school.I worked my *** to build the car and keep my money going into something worth while instead of up my nose or down my throat. I felt the same and once I started take charge of my life it came to me. I’m glad I built it and didn’t give up, or whine there to much to buy.People talk themselves out of buying a car.I spent more in the long run building it, but I know what I got

View attachment 636905
Congrats on your sobriety!

Kern dog awesome deal on that car. Years ago i overhead couple guys with maxies when asked about prices and interests declining in the hobby. Those guys said when the prices fall on maxies then it's started. But who knows new shows using old cars can do wonders for the hobby. I remember when you couldn't buy hardly anything but nos if you could find it.

When will i be able to buy one of these for reasonable money? Maybe never.

View attachment 637179

Get yourself a second job. Work overtime when possible. Any bonuses,tax refunds,birthday money, etc needs to get squirrelled away. Get a 3rd part time job. Ditch satellite tv. Get a better job. Pretty easy once you get rolling. If you are lazy go buy a lottery ticket.
and above all don't get hitched or have rugrats when they grow up they have kids you end up paying for lol.

There is an end in site, just predicting the exact when is not easy. Once the aging owners start dying there will be lots of estate sales and cars on the market. With less buyers. Having said that, the market has changed with both the Auction companies and reality TV shows to continue to keep demand up, along with reproduction parts business and resto mods. The true originals will keep there value far longer than the reproduction cars in my opinion. Looking at Carlisle this year, one thing that struck me was there were more Modern Mopars parked on the hills then original cars in the field. Additionally, very few cars of pedigree in the field. How much longer before the Modern Mopars guys tell the organizer they want the field and put the older cars on the hill.:( Looking at MOPAR clubs, very few if any young adults with original cars or interest. They are building modern cars into custom hot rods.

Auto Transport Service
Back