• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where can I find this material?

Evan Frucht

Local time
6:13 PM
Reaction score
I need some of this stuff

1550707137684_IMG_0212.JPG
1550707126984_IMG_0213.JPG

It's what lines the station wagon luggage area of the 1964 and maybe other years, Plymouth and maybe dodge too.

The original stuff that I have is intact enough for my liking, but someone replaced the 9th passenger seat back with cheesy patterened carpet and it doesn't match or look good. I want to replace just that single replaced section.

I don't mind it looking rough, or with patina, whatever you want to call it. I actually like that, but want it original looking... for that reason I don't want to replace all of it

IMG_0183.JPG

Last edited:
You could try SMS, but I wouldn't expect it "Rushed" on delivery. I ordered my door panels back in Oct 2016, still waiting. I've been told they were almost complete, for the last 7 months. I also ordered, and payed for 2 yds of material to repair my seats, last March. They are now telling me they may have to make some "original" stock, to fill my order. Hope you have better luck. You could try to find something similar, and make all the pieces needing replacement, so it looks uniform in the car, or you may get lucky, and someone may have that stashed in their garage. Good Luck with the search...

Remember to try a fabric store and/or furniture manufacturing place. Look for similar fabric and remember you can color it a different color if needed. Some manufacturing places sell the cloth at a discount store as part of the factory. You may attach this onto a more rigid backing material if needed. Think out of the box. And lastly try a upholstery shop (vehicles and/or furniture) for remnants.

Is this "fabric" or rubber/vinyl?
It's almost like a corrugated vinyl "rib runner".
Check out some industrial flooring places near you and see if they might have something.

it definitely is a thick vinyl type material.

I looked up corrugated vinyl rib runner and that looks close but seems like it could be too thick and bulky maybe. I will have to do an in person comparison to see if it can be pulled off.

What I'm after is something with the exact same pattern on it. my picture didn't come out that good... there is a kind of intricate pattern within the ribs. I may have to get creative to make something.

it also seems that the material is colored... turquoise all the way through, not painted. which makes it even harder to replicate

Maybe find something close and replace all of it so it's uniform?
but then I would lose that worn out look that shows its history!

I'm sort of going for a preservation type approach

I have a habbit of making things difficult for myself

If your wanting to leave the patina, then your only choice is basically leave it as it is. If you possibly want to update it to something that would possible work, check out Restoration Specialties and Supply in Windber, PA. They offer roll rubber matting and sedan decking. This material was used on the cars up through the 40s. It is far from being correct in appearance, but you could quite easily modify your panels to make it work. It comes in black only, so you would have to dye it if that is a problem.

A customer was in our tent last year at Carlisle and was looking for the material for his wagon. Our ACC rep was in the tent with us and he told them that they had nothing in inventory or in development that would work.

View attachment 722677 View attachment 722678

It's what lines the station wagon luggage area of the 1964 and maybe other years, Plymouth and maybe dodge too.

The original stuff that I have is intact enough for my liking, but someone replaced the 9th passenger seat back with cheesy patterened carpet and it doesn't match or look good. I want to replace just that single replaced section.

I don't mind it looking rough, or with patina, whatever you want to call it. I actually like that, but want it original looking... for that reason I don't want to replace all of it

View attachment 722668

If you are looking for original,you won't find it,I looked for it 10 yrs ago and finally gave up.Here is what I did with mine including the tailgate,best decision I could have made,bought at Lowe's was about $3.00 yd.
Picture 141.jpg Picture 113.jpg

View attachment 722677 View attachment 722678

View attachment 722668
Evan, you will find out I'm kind of a wagon nut. That original vinyl cargo area material was supplied by Armstrong. I've removed complete sections of it and the Armstrong name is inked on before the adhesive is applied. And, no. I don't have any NOS vinyl flooring material.

With the Lowes stuff, how did you do the edges of the material exactly?

The original vinyle was just cut and screwed around the edges.

ACC, who makes the molded carpet, apparently sells it by the yard as well, but then I'd have crappy unfinished edges.

ACC, who makes the molded carpet, apparently sells it by the yard as well, but then I'd have crappy unfinished edges.

A upholstery shop with a industrial machine could sew you a welting around the edges.

I know a guy who does upholstery, he's done work for me, but I always, foolishly sometimes, try it myself first.
How to make a nice edge out of some unknown to me yet material, by myself, without any sewing knowledge or machine, has escaped me up to this point.

I cut it with a razor knife,finished it in 2007 and the edges are now as they were then,no on sign of fraying ever.The carpet loop is very small and whatever the backing consist of nothing comes undone,used regular indoor carpet cement to attach.

Here is a little better picture.

P2210061.JPG

I found some turquoise carpet at Menards that was a close color match. It looks good and was not expensive. It was for my 64 wagon.

It is one of the many impossible to find wagon "stuff". I was lucky that the surface material on my 64 Belvedere was still in good shape. The tail gate material is showing it's age, but the spare well cover panel is still looking almost like new.

P1040185.JPG P1040183.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back