• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do the threads go?

sam dupont

Local time
10:26 PM
Reaction score
Someone asked a question, I searched for the information and when I come back to FBBO, the original thread is nowhere to be found.
Where do it go?

Someone asked a question, I searched for the information and when I come back to FBBO, the original thread is nowhere to be found.
Where do it go?
Be careful what you ask about the new forum configuration. You’ll likely get your head bit off by “someone“ in the know about every nuance of its’ current platform design……. I will say no more.

Be careful what you ask about the new forum configuration. You’ll likely get your head bit off by “someone“ in the know about every nuance of its’ current platform design……. I will say no more.
I have a tendency to 'bite' when some of the same people keep on trying to take a thread political. Generally it's not that hard to edit or delete a few posts but when the thread gets long quickly, then it gets into a time factor. Not going to spend 30+ minutes cleaning up something like that so it goes into the trash. Then the OP will usually speak out about why did his thread disappear etc. That usually gets the reply 'why didn't you report it earlier before it got to 4 pages......'

Anyways, without more info about the thread like a title or even a partial title there's no way I can go hunt for it in the trash pile if that's where it went. Anytime we move a thread off of the forum, we're supposed to put it in the trash forum instead of making a clean delete. If that happens, we can't go back to review it because it's gone.

The the OP will usually speak out about why did his thread disappear etc. That usually gets the reply 'why didn't you report it earlier before it got to 4 pages......'

Then you get some people that start a topic about something, never to be seen or heard from again on that topic. If you start a topic asking for help, follow the topic and answer questions when asked!
How many times have we all seen this on forum boards?

I have a tendency to 'bite' when some of the same people keep on trying to take a thread political. Generally it's not that hard to edit or delete a few posts but when the thread gets long quickly, then it gets into a time factor. Not going to spend 30+ minutes cleaning up something like that so it goes into the trash. The the OP will usually speak out about why did his thread disappear etc. That usually gets the reply 'why didn't you report it earlier before it got to 4 pages......'

Anyways, without more info about the thread like a title or even a partial title there's no way I can go hunt for it in the trash pile if that's where it went. Anytime we move a thread off of the forum, we're supposed to put it in the trash forum instead of making a clean delete. If that happens, we can't go back to review it because it's gone.
Thx Cranky - Me knows you meant well with the above. However well meaning your response missed the mark. I was eluding to an earlier thread asking about changes in the platform functions. I’ll just say this - it wasn’t you mods and I also won’t go down that path again. You basically get told “Eat what’s on the table and shut up”.

This is the page I land on when I visit FBBO:

Just minutes ago, someone asked about the end of a radio antenna cable. I went to another website, and when I came back, the question was no longer there.
I just went back again and now it's there again.
Just went back again and it's gone.

There must be something fundamental that I am not getting with the new system.

Not that I understood it perfectly before, but it seemed like it was new posts in order, while now it is a mix of new and old, with the old having a new reply that puts them on the first page.

I find that when I make a response to a post in New Posts, and later want to go back to it, it is no longer there. I guess this is because it is no longer a new post. Back when we had Recent Posts, I could always find it, because it did not drop out. Can we get Recent Posts back?

I find that when I make a response to a post in New Posts, and later want to go back to it, it is no longer there. I guess this is because it is no longer a new post. Back when we had Recent Posts, I could always find it, because it did not drop out. Can we get Recent Posts back?
@Joeychgo will have to answer that question.

Site upgrade...

Just happy to be here. Liked the old better because I'm still needing parts for my build and sometimes there are real deals on parts, but they don't last long.

I have a tendency to 'bite' when some of the same people keep on trying to take a thread political. Generally it's not that hard to edit or delete a few posts but when the thread gets long quickly, then it gets into a time factor. Not going to spend 30+ minutes cleaning up something like that so it goes into the trash. Then the OP will usually speak out about why did his thread disappear etc. That usually gets the reply 'why didn't you report it earlier before it got to 4 pages......'

Wait, are old threads not automatically archived for later use? You have to tend to them all and police which ones are worthy of keeping and which ones aren't?

I find this confusing as it tends to hurt your base and would only cause for the same questions to keep coming up over and over again. With the sheer number of ads this forum "pushes" there should be plenty of server capacity available to archive all of the threads that are created.

Wait, are old threads not automatically archived for later use? You have to tend to them all and police which ones are worthy of keeping and which ones aren't?
We don't delete anything totally.....everything can be brought back so long as it was 'soft' deleted and we don't delete threads that are ok. The majority of 'posts' that get deleted have political content in forums that are not the PF. Threads that get deleted are ones that.....well, like that latest one where the OP was claiming someone he knew was sleeping with their mom. There were several factors in that one going away. Also, everything that is deleted from view goes into one forum so searching for something that was deleted like several months ago might be hard to find again. And no, we don't deem what's worthy of keeping vs ones that aren't. At times the OP asks for one they started after finding an older thread that's nearly identical. And doing a search will usually take you to what you might be looking for instead of starting a new thread.

I find this confusing as it tends to hurt your base and would only cause for the same questions to keep coming up over and over again. With the sheer number of ads this forum "pushes" there should be plenty of server capacity available to archive all of the threads that are created.
We do get the same questions asked many times over the course of a year or so. That happens somewhat often with the 'Happy Birthday' threads and sometimes members will post nearly identical threads in the Political Forum. We don't worry too much about that tho and will sometimes merge them if they aren't too big by the time we see it.

If I posted in some thread and can't find it, I go to "Your content" and can find it if it wasn't deleted.

Where do it go?

The homepage doesn't show new threads from general, political, and maybe others. It used to but not anymore. It was easy on the old version to see all the new posts by looking at the home page. Now if you want to see something posted in General or Political you need to go directly to those forums or else go to What's New. The problem with What's New is that there is so much churn on that page. Posts in What's New will disappear onto page 2 or page 3 within short span of time because anytime someone posts to any old post it gets pushed to the top of What's New.

Where do it go?

I believe I know what you're talking about. The old format you could return to the home page or recent post and the thread you replied to would be at the top of the list.

Now when you reply to a thread it's gone when you return to the home/new post. What I've been doing is look in "Watched" at the top of the page.
i-dont-know-smiley-emoticon.gif

The homepage doesn't show new threads from general, political, and maybe others. It used to but not anymore. It was easy on the old version to see all the new posts by looking at the home page. Now if you want to see something posted in General or Political you need to go directly to those forums or else go to What's New. The problem with What's New is that there is so much churn on that page. Posts in What's New will disappear onto page 2 or page 3 within short span of time because anytime someone posts to any old post it gets pushed to the top of What's New.
I click on 'new posts' at the top left.....

Auto Transport Service
Back