• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do these washers belong?

36viper

Local time
8:45 PM
Reaction score
When a buddy and I were pulling the engine out of the bottom of the car ('68 HEMI Charger) last fall, these two thick washers showed up. One from each side. We also removed the upper nuts and washers from the front shocks, and detached the upper control arms at the ball joints. Does anyone know where these thick washers go, as I'm reinstalling the engine this Sat.? Thanks in advance for your time :) !!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4b7f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4b7e.jpg

I'm going with the pitman arm and idler arm. I once forgot that washer on my pitman arm and could see a gap where it should go once the pitman arm was tightened up

I'm going with lower control arm shaft. I sort of remember robbing one off a K I have laying around to replace one that was discovered lost during an assembly procedure

I love these games, what do I win if correct?

See that castle nut with 6 points? It goes on there. It’s what aftermarket front end parts come with. Prob upper ball joint. Look where a nut is too low to catch the cotter pin hole.

See that castle nut with 6 points? It goes on there. It’s what aftermarket front end parts come with. Prob upper ball joint. Look where a nut is too low to catch the cotter pin hole.
Had too many Shinese ball joints where the castle nut wouldn't catch the cotter pin hole but the lame ball joints didn't come with a washer.....

Thanks everyone! Looks like the upper ball joint takes the cake (and the thick washer too)!!

Thanks everyone! Looks like the upper ball joint takes the cake (and the thick washer too)!!
I placed the thick washers like in the pic from mr. b above. They made the castle nut line up correctly with the cotter pin hole. Thanks everyone!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back