• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where have they all gone? I'm just blowing off steam.

xlr8

Local time
2:57 PM
Reaction score
Hello All!

A while back, I mentioned that I was throwing my hat into the ring and actively looking to buy a 'bird. I'm not looking for a rotisserie restored car (too much for my budget), but I do want a decent driver and it has to be the real thing (no tributes or clones). I'm chasing a couple local cars but it seems the owners are not overly interested in selling. They SAY they want to sell but then have 'second thoughts". It's driving me crazy. I feel as though I've done all the right things. I've saved the money, done my research and I'm trying to be patient but it isn't producing any results. I want a local car but if I have to get one from out of my area, then so be it (I'm in SE Pa.). I keep seeing the same 10-15 cars being advertised out there and they're stupid numbers. When I send an email about an advertised car, it goes unanswered.

I guess I'm just blowing off steam. I'm frustrated and disappointed. Anyone know of anything for sale out there?

In the meantime, I'm eating, sleeping, breathing, dreaming all things Superbird. I'm pretty sure many of you guys know EXACTLY what I'm going through.....

Thanks for listening!!

I guess I didn't think of that. In my mind, I AM serious but I suppose there are a lot of tire kickers out there. Maybe a few phone calls are in order....

Take a suitcase full of cash around their house and show them the money - cold hard cash right there in front of them. Tends to change people's minds (especially if the wife is standing there with them).

There were only a limited amount. Many have been restored or are #3 condition survivors. There are not many left that are driver condition. Personally, I'd look for a clone priced as such.

Take a suitcase full of cash around their house and show them the money - cold hard cash right there in front of them. Tends to change people's minds (especially if the wife is standing there with them).

I've done that !! It seems that money doesn't motivate these guys. I've assured them the car will have a good home. I'm not a "flipper". I've owned most of my cars for decades. I've invited them to my garage for the tour. The one owner told me that when he sells the car, he never wants to see it again. I assured him I would make sure he never sees it - nothing... He even went as far as saying "I hope you get my car". I think he's thinking his wife will sell it when he passes away. Sheesh...

Maybe Jerry Hall or dads bee.... Will give you a ride in there still hold you over for now?

There were only a limited amount.
That brings us a good question. How many are left? I don't have the numbers that showed up at the last Wing Car Reunion, but having been there my guess is about 150 Superbirds in attendance. My guess is somewhere between 350-400 total left. Does anyone have known numbers?

"NEWS UPDATE - POLICE ARE STILL looking for a couple who recently went missing. Witnesses claim that they were last seen with a suitcase full of cash and were headed into the boonies...."

You are letting the social conditioning drive your emotions, that conditioning is instant gratification. You decided that you wanted one and are now obsessed with finding one (not a bad thing) but you need to calm down and let go for away. Post some "WTB" on any/all the sites that bird owners may visit, be honest about what you are looking for. Its like fishing, put your hook into the water and let it sit.

We all know that if you decided to buy something else a superbird would come available the next day. Same deal if you "settle" and buy a car that is either below your desires or above, the perfect car would be available within days. All car guys go through this (many times for most of us).

Leave the money in the bank and sit back, go on the defense instead of the offense. This is how professional car flippers do it, they are willing to keep looking (and passing on cars along the way) until the "right one" comes along.

Short ride for you Sunday to Ridgely, MD. Maybe one of the 8-9 that show up there might be for sale.

upload_2021-9-17_1-30-41.jpeg

Pic from 2019.

Social conditioning. Good advice, I like it and you're right. It makes me crazy to think about it. I will continue my search and thanks to all who have offered advice. The suggestion to make phone calls as opposed to emails is a good one. I never really thought of that.

I've wanted a bird for many many years. It's only recently that I thought I could actually buy one. All along, I've been saving and waiting. Once I get one, I will sell a few cars in my garage. I don't really want to see them go but I will say goodbye in exchange for a bird. Sorry folks, none of them are Mopars (A Lincoln, an Impala and a Mercury). I don't want to sell them in advance.

I'm going to look up that Ridgely MD thing. It might be well worth the ride.

Thanks again for the support!!! I'll keep plugging away!!

Patience, grasshopper. That is the only way to go about this, and all things in life. When I see a car I want to buy, I go at it with the attitude that if I get it, fine, if I don’t, fine too. Another car always comes along. You will be happily surprised that the right car will come along for you, and your search will be complete.

I owned a 67 GTX for almost 25 years. I loved that car, but I’ve always wanted a 70 RR. So I decided to start my search to trade my GTX for a RR in like condition. After about 2 years, and many cars looked at across the nation, one finally dropped into my lap less than 7 miles from my home. It wasn’t exactly apples to apples, what I ended up with far exceeded my expectations. Now when I get into the car to drive it, it feels like I’ve owned it all my life. It was just meant to be, the original owner and his nephew have both told me that, and they are as happy as I am that I now own it.

the right car will come along in due time, you just have to be patient. You will be rewarded with just the right car for you.

91DCE69A-BF8F-4247-9720-573D5CB0F2BD.jpeg EB39757A-7399-4D1B-99C9-3CF14A951040.jpeg

This! It's worked for me, it's worked against me.

The coming market change that is blowing in the wind will have alot of nice classic cars (Wing cars included) for sale at really nice prices. Your opinion may vary.

a lot of tire kickers out there
Yep. Also I will add and just my thoughts,As a seller it goes thru your mind,I will never be able to replace my car with the same amount of money I am being paid.Maybe why folks are hesitant to sell.We are talking about a super rare car,and a survivor makes it harder.

Wish you luck on the search. I looked every where and was up till 3 in the morning some time's surfing the net. All kinds of junk and many scam's where out their. You said a bird. Or are you looking for a supper bird. they are more rare than the straight out bird. I wanted a four speed that even made it rougher. Found one local 69 bird. For 7 thou. but as you know needed much work. They had hacked it up to put the automatic trans in. But the clutch pedal was still in the car. So after 5 1/2 years and a load of money which I will not add up due to my hart might not take the shock. Yes lot of car's all over the US. But wanted a lot of money for junk. Found this one on Racing junk dot com. It was close to my house less than 20 miles away. Had motor and drive train for 7 thou. Knew it needed a lot of work so decided to take on the task. Now driving it and did all the work my self except took the motor to a machine shop. The owner was a one man shop and could tell he took pride in his work. The shop was kept really clean. So decided to let him build it for me. I had so much left to do any way's. The motor 383 cost me around 5 grand to him. I even bought some parts and took them to him. He did a grate job. Supper bird's are a rare car and not as many made as the bird it's self. They are expensive to say the least. Sorry did not mean to ramble on. But feel your frustration. So take a breath like other have said. They are many on E bay and Craig's list. Local new paper. Hope you find that car of your dream's. Here is my car finished.
IMG_0104 (5).JPG

The easiest part of acquiring a vintage muscle car, is saving the cash.

be patient, one will come along

They're out there. Found a "barn find" bird myself.

Been saving up to try and buy it

Not telling you where my dream car is rotting away!

upload_2021-9-17_8-52-6.png

Last edited:
Once this is all said and done, I'm getting a tattoo. I'm not a tat guy but it will be "RM23". Most people wont even know what it means but those who know, will know - and understand.

Auto Transport Service
Back