• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to buy rear end

skymynx

Local time
7:51 PM
Reaction score
I want to replace my stock 8 1/4" rear end with a 8 3/4" rear end with a posi. Looking for somewhere around 3.83 or 3.56 for the rear end. I know chevy's and ford's are blessed in the aftermarket world. Does anyone sell an aftermarket bolt-in rear end or am I better off buying a junkyard one and having it rebuilt.

There's lots of aftermarket parts for Mopars but I'm not real sure about a complete 8 3/4 rear. You might contact Strange, Moser or Randys. Also, Dr Diff builds them but I can't remember where he's located. He has a site. I also build but I'm kinda far from you. What is this going in? And ratios for the 8 3/4 in the 3.00 range are 3.23, 3.55, 3.73, and 3.91.

If you have an 8.75 (8 3/4) housing I have always gone with Randy Ring and Pinion in Washington state....they offer, sure-grip, Auburn, Dana, and usually they have the 3 pumpkins available the 741, 742,and the 489....prices aren't real cheap But...they are new ,they are rebuilt, and I have never had an issue with any of their products
Gereral ratios will be 3:55, 3:73, 3:90 http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/DiffTypes.aspx
Hope this helps....

You probably won't find any in junkyards...

If buying new, you're talking in the thousands of dollars range.

Used at swap meets, craigslist or from this board- complete non-suregrip 8 3/4 axles can be had for under $250. The last one I bought about 3 years ago was $100.

Center sections with sure grip units can go for anywhere from $250 to over $500.
I've bought two in the past two years- a 2.94 SG in a 742 case that is the cleanest I've ever seen for $300 and a 3.23 SG that is serviceable in a 741 case for $265.

Ring and pinions, and install kits can be bought new.

There is some debate over axle bearings.
OEM can be hard to find.
Suggested replacement has a different design and is the subject of said debate.

Last edited:
You could buy a bolt in Dana 60 or 44 , no one is doing the 8.75 in a complete bolt in, there was a shop doing a fab unit but i haven't heard anything from that anymore

Auto Transport Service
Back