• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to sell a car?

dla4567

Local time
4:37 AM
Reaction score
I can’t remember the last time I sold a car but think I’m going to now.
So my question is, where do you advertise?

eBay- I just want to advertise locally.

Craigslist- every time I’ve used Craigslist I just get a bunch is spam and robocalls.

Newspaper- Does anybody read the paper anymore?

Any good ideas on how or where to advertise?

I sold a couple on http://www.autabuy.com
got pretty much my asking prices

weren't all classic cars, 2 were trucks, 1 was a Jeep

I rarely sell anything any more
been 10+ years now

Hemmings online, they have a couple formats one is an auction. Don't know much about the auction format they just started a month or two ago.

I would try e bay, world wide exposure. I have a car advertised on several of these websites, and no sale so far. Granted my car is not cheap, but once I finish getting it ready, it is going on e bay where the real buyers are. My friend and I have sold several cars on there with great success, and getting the price we wanted for them. As far as my car goes, If I don't get my number for it,I will put it back in the garage and close the door. I am not taking one thin dime less than the price it is advised for.

Ebay and Carsonline have worked for me in the past.

When I want to sell something, I post it here first so at least someone I
know can have first dibbs. Then if it doesn't sell, Flea-Bay is the way!

I guess I should have stated, not a collector car.
It’s a 1993 Dodge Shadow convertible. 2 of my kids learned to drive in it and the next is a few years away. So for the last couple years it just sits there.
So I decided to sell it to buy a trailer.

I guess I should have stated, not a collector car.
It’s a 1993 Dodge Shadow convertible. 2 of my kids learned to drive in it and the next is a few years away. So for the last couple years it just sits there.
So I decided to sell it to buy a trailer.
Ah I worked on those Horizon/Omni replacements when they were new.

I've used craigslist and ebay..craigslist I put that they need to email me their number, and I will call them... and that I will remove ad when sold.. works weeding out the idiots somewhat.

Got a 95 Lincoln Town Car going to drive it to the happy huntin' grounds, $200.

Ebay is a great shopping tool. I have started negotiating through ads there. Gathering additional information from the seller. Then going either to look or buy. Never completed a deal through eBay, but have bought the cars by ads starting there. I know it's against the rules, but the seller has the right to have it posted in the ad, that the car is for sale elsewhere.

But my 66 charger on eBay, what are some of the scams the buyers can pull on sellers? I've been selling on eBay for 20 years and have never been scammed however, selling a car scares me

I know that they can stop a PayPal transaction is one of them, and never do friends and family through PayPal. I know those, is there any other scams they can pull, especially through PayPal?

I also wish there was a way eBay would finally make it so that people with less than five feedback can't be unless you say it's okay...

" I also wish there was a way eBay would finally make it so that people with less than five feedback can't be unless you say it's okay."

I put that in my ad ( must talk to me ) ..don't know if it holds water but I do it and have spoken with potential buyers to see if they sound legit.

I can’t remember the last time I sold a car but think I’m going to now.
So my question is, where do you advertise?

eBay- I just want to advertise locally.

Craigslist- every time I’ve used Craigslist I just get a bunch is spam and robocalls.

Newspaper- Does anybody read the paper anymore?

Any good ideas on how or where to advertise?

As much as I hate Facebook, it seems to be the "go to" place now for selling cars and other items.

As much as I hate Facebook, it seems to be the "go to" place now for selling cars and other items.

That’s a good tip, thanks. I don’t do Facebook but the wife does. I’ll give it a try.

Facebook Market Place is where its at now. Any cars I put on there sell,some right away and some it takes a month or so.

Just did some trading on the market place and ended up with these 2 and way better cars than the 2 I gave up
dust1.jpg
amc 026.jpg

Auto trader, some decent stuff there. I bought my 2013 Ram from a guy in Vegas, few down and drove it back the same day

Auto Transport Service
Back