• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which aftermarket transmission?

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
I'm all for keeping things as original as possible, but my car is a '68 Satellite and when I bought it the motor and tranny were already not original. With that in mind, I'm planning to pull out my 360/904 combo and do a 400 stroked to 451 and a 727. If I were to go the aftermarket transmission route, does anyone have any advice from experience on reputable vendors? So far I'm looking at Bowler or Cope Racing (CRT). TCI reviews are a mixed bag. I don't want to rebuild a 727 myself either. I have no garage and am in the middle of a job change and a move. Thanks for the input.

Jerico with the Long shifter :D

If you wanted to go the TF route because in the end it will be the least amount of hassle since it all fits without mods, just have your big block 727 core rebuilt. I see you are in San Jose so go see Joe at Ad Tech transmission on N. 13th St.

If you wanted to go the TF route because in the end it will be the least amount of hassle since it all fits without mods, just have your big block 727 core rebuilt. I see you are in San Jose so go see Joe at Ad Tech transmission on N. 13th St.

Meep-Meep, how did you know I already had picked up a 727 for the big block I haven't even started building yet?? :icon_surprised:I just picked it up yesterday actually. It's from a 68 GTX and the guy even had a valve body from a '74 dodge truck so it will do partial throttle kick-down. Then I got home and did some research on rebuilding costs and got to second guessing myself and was wondering about pre-build aftermarket 727's. Your recommendation is also what I was looking for though. I live off of N. 14th, so he's right down the street! Thanks for the lead.

Anyone else? Any opinions on the Bowler or CRT 727's?

too expensive, you only require a OE overhaul with a shift improver/reprogramming kit and you will be happy. I see many mopar enthusiasts get caught up on the "hype" about CRT and A and A and this and that... but they do not NEED that. CRT and A and A ( I dont know bowler) are very reputable companies who build killer transmissions.. but you pay for that transmission.

I have rebuilt/overhauled 727's for over 10 years now and I can tell you that a 100 buck kit at o'reilly's and a b&m shift kit will make many people very happy with their transmission.

It is not about what you want, but what you need. Need doesnt mean a lot of $$, but Want does.

You can buy all the parts yourself so you save money on the mark up at the tranny shop...I bought all my stuff from www.TSracing.com,,That save you a few bucks on having one built..At least you,ll know what you have..
Petty blue 67 gTx

Meep-Meep, how did you know I already had picked up a 727 for the big block I haven't even started building yet?? :icon_surprised:I just picked it up yesterday actually. It's from a 68 GTX and the guy even had a valve body from a '74 dodge truck so it will do partial throttle kick-down. Then I got home and did some research on rebuilding costs and got to second guessing myself and was wondering about pre-build aftermarket 727's. Your recommendation is also what I was looking for though. I live off of N. 14th, so he's right down the street! Thanks for the lead.

Well, that's because I just had the crystals realigned in my crystal ball :drunken_smilie:

I agree with some of the comments above about doing a trans rebuild yourself if you have experience in rebuilding engines. There are some good books out there that would really help -
1) ATSG A727/A904 Techtran Manual - this is basic rebuild guide
2) Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook - this is guide for performance
I think both books can be found on Amazon

If you really just want a drop in replacement, I would check out Hughes Transmissions in Phoenix - www.hughesperfomance.com. I have heard good things about them but have only bought parts and not a whole trans.

Good Luck

thanks guys for all of the great comments. I've already got one quote from a local respected transmission shop (not Ad-tech recommended by Meep-Meep, still have to talk to him) and I told him my engine plans and told him I wanted one level up from stock with a shift kit and recalibration. He quoted me a ballpark of $1500.

CRT's website advertises the same thing (from what I can tell) for $995+shipping. I would love to go with the rebuild, but the CRT price sounds good if it will be as good or better.

I'll get the quote from Ad-tech too. Maybe this first shop is too high? I don't want to do the rebuild myself - no space or time right now.

Meep-Meep, you're the man! I just met with Joe this morning. What a nice guy. And he really knows his stuff. I showed him the 727 from the '68 GTX I had picked up and we also discussed aftermarket options. He said if it was him, he would order an aftermarket 727 from B&M, whom he's done business with for 30 yrs. He showed me the tranny options in the B&M catalogue. He said the best he could do on my rebuild is $890 labor, then figure in parts. The new B&M is $990. Sounds like for the price the aftermarket is the way to go.

Only trouble is, while looking online today, I read that B&M no longer makes the 727 complete drop-in trans. Anyone hear of that rumor or have experience with the B&M complete trans? I was going to use their shift kit anyway so it makes sense.

By the way, I told Joe you referred me to him and he asked your name. All I know you by is Meep-Meep!

Thanks for the help.

I'm glad it went well. He's a cool dude that's for sure. I became acquainted with him through the guy that runs the balancing shop next door. Just tell him Alex that rebuilds the turbo pumps who knows George. I need to see him soon about some TF business of my own.

That GTX tranny probably has the VIN of the car stamped on the top of the bell housing. Would be neat if it can find it's old home, or better yet get the car!

I'm glad it went well. He's a cool dude that's for sure. I became acquainted with him through the guy that runs the balancing shop next door. Just tell him Alex that rebuilds the turbo pumps who knows George. I need to see him soon about some TF business of my own.

That GTX tranny probably has the VIN of the car stamped on the top of the bell housing. Would be neat if it can find it's old home, or better yet get the car!

You're right - the more I talked to Joe, the more and more I enjoyed it. He's great. He serviced my 904 TF and got it running as good as it can without a complete rebuild. I also had some electrical issues that interferred with starting while it was there (it figures!) and he was nice enough to help me out. I'll tell him who you are when I talk to him later today.

About the 727 from the GTX - that would be great, but I bought the trans from the original owner and a drunk lady hit him in the car head-on 20 yrs ago so the car is long gone. He had some things he was getting rid of and this was the last of it.

So I'm going to go with an aftermarket trans from either Cope Racing or B&M. Thanks for the help.

So I'm going to go with an aftermarket trans from either Cope Racing or B&M. Thanks for the help.

For what its worth, I can say that Cope Racing did well by me. I had a numbers 727 rebuilt to the same spec you are after (~$900) to go behind a 383 stroker (426) about 4 years ago. No problems so far and is a strong, firm shifting tranny. I plan to go back to John again very soon for another tranny for another car I'm working on.

For what its worth, I can say that Cope Racing did well by me. I had a numbers 727 rebuilt to the same spec you are after (~$900) to go behind a 383 stroker (426) about 4 years ago. No problems so far and is a strong, firm shifting tranny. I plan to go back to John again very soon for another tranny for another car I'm working on.

thanks for the first-hand feedback. That makes my decision that much easier.

man.. i guess i need to start doing transmissions again if $990 is a ballpark price. I sold them for $475.. add a shift kit and it was $515+shipping and I even have a 727 specific shipping container!!!.... should I start reposting my advertisement in the forums again? :D

Yeah, I used to get a $75.00 clutch kit and do my own, but that's when I had less to do.

I say post your ad!

Auto Transport Service
Back