• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Aluminum Radiator? Are Champion Radiators any good?

RT6PK

Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
I have a '67 Belvedere with a 318 and air conditioning. I want to replace the original 50+ year old radiator before it decides to spring a leak. The car has a 26" radiator, (because of the factory A/C???). In the future, I might want to upgrade to a mild 360. My question is which brand should I go with? Do I need a 3 row or a 4 row? Champion seems to be reasonably priced. Does anyone have any experience with those?

There inexpensive. I was a little worried, but I've bought them twice and didn't have any problems. My current car had one when I bought it, along with an electric fan and it always runs cool.

a guy just listed a grifffin for sale here a little while ago. they look original.

a guy just listed a grifffin for sale here a little while ago. they look original.
You definitely would not have any problems with a Griffin. I have 2 cars running the 22" version.

Make sure you get a radiator with 2 rows of 1 inch or 1.250 inch tubes.

i wished he would have sold it 6 months ago would have saved me a bundle
You definitely would not have any problems with a Griffin. I have 2 cars running the 22" version.

Griffin. Unsurpassed quality. I have the 26" and it's light years beyond Champion quality.

Wizard. Perfect fit. Factory shroud fits exactly in place. Cools well.

wizard are really good and they are made in USA , the cores and the tanks.
I just bought one for a Ferrari and it fit great and well made.
service was excellent as well

OK, so this isn't a B body, but I had a leaky radiator in a 66 Valiant slant. I called the guys at Champion, they guided me to their 3-core that I bought and installed. It fit as expected, and my temp needle never moves once the thermostat opens. I'm a fan, it worked like they said it would. Money well spent in my opinion.

I have a champion and I am very pleased. Paired with a FlowKooler water pump and an electric fan, it is great.

I’ve had great luck w my Wizard radiator. Lately I’ve been trying to stuff electric fans into where they won’t fit so I’ve been on the phone with Scott and Tyler. They’ve each given me their personal cell and helped even on this holiday weekend.

I called yesterday and asked for Scott. Tyler told me Scott was in the back on the welder trying to fix a radiator for a customer who needed it this weekend.

Serious customer service. Their may be other equally great companies mentioned here, but you won’t go wrong with these guys...

The Champion radiators are good for the price. I would get a 3-core if you go that direction. I had a 4-core, which was OK, but it is so thick that an electric fan has a hard time getting good airflow through it. I replaced it with a Griffin. The Griffin has two 1.25" core tubes, verses the Champions four 0.63" tubes. The Champion 3 core actually has larger 0.75" tubes.

Ok not aluminum.... but GLEN -RAY has done me very well !

I have a speed cooling 22" rad which I have no issues with.
Looks good and keeps things cool where the original did not.
I believe that it is 2 rows of 1"

To answer your question.....Champion radiators cool just fine though you should expect to move some mounting holes & modify your fan shroud for it to fit. Cold Case looks more original. Either way, I suggest a 4-row (why not?). 3-row would be fine too, even with a 360 with A/C.

In general..... a "close" way to think about cooling is to "add up the inches & multiply by rows". "Basically" 4 rows of 1/2" (4 x 0.5 = 2.0) tubes is the same as 2 rows of 1" tubes (2 x 1.0 = 2.0) as far as heat transfer of the radiator itself. BUT give a slight edge to the 2-row in this case since fewer tubes = better air flow. Hope that made sense.

The 2-row BIG tube radiators are the best....but for a mainly street car, you don't need to spend that much. Also, though very expensive, the Glen Ray factory reproductions are fantastic looking/performing. Brass cools just about as well as aluminum & is much more durable.

Love my Champion

20170505_091044.jpg

Jeff

Auto Transport Service
Back