• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which brake booster should a 1968 Charger R/T 440 have?

Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm putting together my buddy's 1968 Dodge Charger R/T factory 440 car. Putting a new brake booster on it and I'm wondering which one it should have. I know it should be Bendix since it has factory 4 piston calipers, but I'm not sure which one. The shop manual is very vague. It shows one that is a twist and lock and one that is a crimp together style. It' doesn't say which one is for the 440 and which is for the Hemi, the pictures do but they look identical to one another (and they're poorly labeled of course), except I know one is a single diaphragm and one is a tandem. Also know that the brake lines can exit either side of the master cylinder. Anyone with any info please help!!! Lol.

They are both dual diaphragm... They are basically the same booster... The difference is the mounting & the pushrod on the Hemi.

Here is the parts list.

brakes2.PNG

Mine has the crimped Bendix booster, with a MC that has the ports on the Drivers side . Original

My 68 R/T with drum brakes has the flatter style dual diaphragm Bendix booster.

View attachment 972412
I believe that the drum brake cars used the BENDIX SINGLE DIAPHRAGM unit and the Hemi and 440 cars with disc brakes used the BENDIX TANDEM DIAPHRAGM unit. The unit in your pix is the BENDIX SINGLE DIAPHRAGM unit. The Midland Ross (single diaphragm) unit has a circumferential clamp band holding the halves together. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

68 is the bendix dual diaphragm booster mounted to firewall via a plate. The booster studs are 5/16 and pattern is different then hemi type. The booster has been repoped and avail online. The MC was also a bendix. In 68 thru 70 for a non hemi B body the MC casting is 2226821 ports exit to the engine. The 67 B body all, and the 68-69 B body hemi used the 2225621 which had ports exiting to the fender.

68 is the bendix dual diaphragm booster mounted to firewall via a plate. The booster studs are 5/16 and pattern is different then hemi type. The booster has been repoped and avail online. The MC was also a bendix. In 68 thru 70 for a non hemi B body the MC casting is 2226821 ports exit to the engine. The 67 B body all, and the 68-69 B body hemi used the 2225621 which had ports exiting to the fender.

If this is true then why did my 68 Charger/ power drums, 440 magnum, 727, have left exit ports? (toward the fender apron) all factory stuff.

My 4spd 440 R/T Charger with power front disc brakes and 10" rear drums with Bendix Booster is like you stated. Master Cylinder exits toward engine.

My 4spd 440 R/T Charger with power front disc brakes and 10" rear drums with Bendix Booster is like you stated. Master Cylinder exits toward engine.
I guess it exactly depends on the year and plant. My RS23VOA****** GTX has front disc brakes, 11 x 2-1/2" rear drums and has a BENDIX tandem booster with the master cylinder connections on the fender side. The car was built at the Lynch Road plant the 3rd week of November 1969. Which configuration is exactly correct??....not sure... just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Drum cars used a single diaphragm booster, mostly. Disc brake cars used a dual diaphragm.

Drum cars used a single diaphragm booster, mostly. Disc brake cars used a dual diaphragm.
In Ram Mans video he took out a check valve in the front line that preloads the rear drum. He also has the booster rebuilds on his channel.

If this is true then why did my 68 Charger/ power drums, 440 magnum, 727, have left exit ports? (toward the fender apron) all factory stuff.

Because we are talking disc brakes not drum. OP has 4 piston Bendix disc brake calipers (67-69 B body also backfit to 66). Drum did use a different MC and a different booster.

Auto Transport Service
Back