• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which fan shroud for my car?

fine69

Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
Good day, everyone! (Доброго дня всім!)
Was thinking about keeping my ‘69 charger a bit cooler this year but have a bit of a conundrum. It’s originally a 383 car with a 1973 440 in it currently. So it’s hard to say which fan shroud a guy should buy.
It seems to have the original 22” radiator in it but do I get radiator for a 1969 440, a 1969 383, or a 1973 440? Or will anything fit at all. The only reason(s) I can guess why there isn’t one there now is because it was broken or didn’t fit when the engine was swapped.
Any thoughts?

12F1F8F7-C33E-4AD5-8EA6-CB23EC86C41E.jpeg

B to RB motors all share the same pumps and dimensions. So look at the radiator number and you should be able to locate the correct shroud. You can also look for numbers on the fan or measure it to be sure it will be right for the shroud opening. Then you can decide if the spacer needs to be changed to move the fan in or out within the shroud.

Thanks for the info, pnora!
Any 67-70 22 inch b body shroud will work as far as I know. Do you have the mounting brackets to attach the shroud? If you have the original rad, it could easily be cleaned and even 3 cored. Those years have 3 studs on one side and two on the other for the shroud. The shroud was the same 440 or 383. Main thing, which side is does the lower rad hose come off the pump.

I am pretty sure that a 22" radiator was standard equipment on '69 Charger and Coronet R/T with 440. The 26" was optional with a shroud and clutch fan as part of a H. D. cooling package. Some 22" rad will accept a shroud and some will not, depending on style of side straps. If rad is only two row, have it recored as a three row.
I once modified a 22" rad opening to accept a 26" radiator. The opening widens on the passenger side of the rad opening support. The driver side mounting points are the same regardless of radiator size. I had to drill out the passenger side rad support spot welds. With a sheet metal saw, I cut a 3" wide section of the rad support from top to bottom that contained the radiator mount holes. I bolted this section to the passenger side of the radiator. Then, I bolted the radiator to the driver side mount points. On the other side I marked where the attached support piece overlaid on the remaining passenger side rad support. I cut this strip of metal out of the rad support. Then I unbolted the previously cut piece of support from the radiator and clamped it next to the new cut on the support, and MIG welded it in place. After smoothing the welds, and a little bit of filler and paint, it looked factory and the 26" rad bolted right in. An afternoon's work.

Any 67-70 22 inch b body shroud will work as far as I know. Do you have the mounting brackets to attach the shroud? If you have the original rad, it could easily be cleaned and even 3 cored. Those years have 3 studs on one side and two on the other for the shroud. The shroud was the same 440 or 383. Main thing, which side is does the lower rad hose come off the pump.
I like the idea of getting the original rad 3 cored. That’s something I’ll look into if I can find someone to do it within 200 miles of here.

I like the idea of getting the original rad 3 cored. That’s something I’ll look into if I can find someone to do it within 200 miles of here.
By the way, what does S’toon have for radiator shops?

I am pretty sure that a 22" radiator was standard equipment on '69 Charger and Coronet R/T with 440. The 26" was optional with a shroud and clutch fan as part of a H. D. cooling package. Some 22" rad will accept a shroud and some will not, depending on style of side straps. If rad is only two row, have it recored as a three row.
I once modified a 22" rad opening to accept a 26" radiator. The opening widens on the passenger side of the rad opening support. The driver side mounting points are the same regardless of radiator size. I had to drill out the passenger side rad support spot welds. With a sheet metal saw, I cut a 3" wide section of the rad support from top to bottom that contained the radiator mount holes. I bolted this section to the passenger side of the radiator. Then, I bolted the radiator to the driver side mount points. On the other side I marked where the attached support piece overlaid on the remaining passenger side rad support. I cut this strip of metal out of the rad support. Then I unbolted the previously cut piece of support from the radiator and clamped it next to the new cut on the support, and MIG welded it in place. After smoothing the welds, and a little bit of filler and paint, it looked factory and the 26" rad bolted right in. An afternoon's work.
Some radiators will fool you as they wont have the studs for a shroud. A lot of those had a 90 degree side bracket the bolted to the radiator and the 90 degree bracket had the shroud studs.

Saskatoon and Regina both have rad shops, Saskatoon Rad, and Sutherland Rad. I have used Advance and Saskatoon. Many years ago, 3 the cored rad. You might not need a shroud. MAIN THING-make sure the block is flushed well.

By the way, what does S’toon have for radiator shops?
Oddly enough I have a customer with a 69 RT that we will be taking in the orig 22" for recoring to saskatoon radiator. They did an excellent job on my buddies 70 challenger.
Likely in the 600 area.

Oddly enough I have a customer with a 69 RT that we will be taking in the orig 22" for recoring to saskatoon radiator. They did an excellent job on my buddies 70 challenger.
Likely in the 600 area.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll definitely keep them in mind.

Auto Transport Service
Back