• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is easier to spray for a novice....

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:14 PM
Reaction score
Would a enamel or urethane be easier for a novice to spray, or which is more forgiving. Give me your thoughts, and thanks for the advice.

enamel is going to be easier since its single stage (dont need clear) but base coat clear coat urethane will look nicer and have a lot more depth to it (more mirror like) however clear coat can be challenging for a novice if you spray it on too light it can be dull and really bad orange peal texture if you go a little too heavy you will get runs in it so it would come down to would you rather have nicer looking or easier to spray also be aware some people are alergic to certain types of paint, my father is a body man and he is allergic to enamel if someone sprays any around him his throat closes up on him

Single stage is a little easier, and can be urethane or enamel based. Urethane is more durable and has slightly better UV protection. It can be a costly learning experience...good luck!

oh another thing for future thought enamel never fully dries rock solid you propably wouldnt realize it until you decide its time to repaint again enamel will gum up your sandpaper real fast in comparrison to urethane, just a thought

I don't really have any advice on the subject but I'm glad it was brought up. I was wondering the same thing between urethane and regular enamel. I was looking at the Summit paint systems. Which one is easier for cleanup for guns, spills and the such...? I was already leaning toward the Urethane since I hear it's more durable. I already bought the HVLP gun and detail gun. I plan on pissing off the CARB nazis and spraying my car in a home made PVC pipe, painter's plastic tarp booth. I'm going to put a home A/C filter on one end and a 24" box fan on the other with another filter in front of it to help catch overspray. I'll throw pics in my "build thread" when I get to that point.

urethane is more durable.....but to answer your original question, I think Acrylic Enamel would probably be the easiest for a novice.
BTW urethane is available in either BC/CC or single stage. If you decide to go urethane, definately use BC/CC if using a metallic color. If its a solid color you'll be just fine with single stage.
And one more note....if you are looking for a more correct/original looking appearance, go with acrylic enamel.

Jason

I found the color I want in single stage acrylic urethane, and it is a metallic. The price is right and it will be driven on occasion and parked in the garage so waxing would be done every 3 months. Is this a good or bad idea?

I will be in a similiar position as you this winter. Subscribed for results.

Just a word of advice here, You truly get what you pay for. Acrylic lacquers......cheap, Enamels...cheap and both of which are sensitive topcoats. Acrylic enamels, 70's vintage technology in single stage, by todays standard is an inexpensive catalysed paint but doesn't have the holdout or durability of a single stage urethane but slightly safer/easier for a novice to use. Single stage Acrylic or Polyester blended Urethanes are more durable, fairly easy to apply, have better holdout but...contain isocyanates which require fresh air supply for the painter. And last but not least Basecoat Clearcoat which is the premier choice. Comes with either solvent borne or water borne basecoats (water is great but must be used in a tightly controlled environment) and still requires a Urethane clearcoat to be applied for UV and environment protection. Once again, isocyanates are a danger with this Clearcoat!!! No charcoal respirator is going to protect you from isocyanate poisoning/sensitization.

Painting can be a trial by fire learning experience and requires practice. An experienced painter with 10+ years of exp. can struggle when changing brands of paint or technologies to master proper application of the material, ask any professional applicator.

Best wishes here as I learned by the seat of my pants 30+ years ago and I won't tell you how my first complete paint job turned out, let's just say the finish resembled a piece of fruit that has an orange colour to it...

if your in a home garage and not a professional spray booth i would recommend avoiding the new low voc water bourn paints that are coming out they are very very picky and react (fish eye or solvent pop like reaction) very easy you need a very good filtration system and you need a very clean (dry and oil free) surface. even using a standard tack cloth can cause a reaction to the paint. the point is i would recommend against it if at all possible

In my honest opinion ppg basecoat clearcoat in a urethane is the easiest to apply the base goes on even and the clear isn't hard either. If you run the clear it is no big thing just wetsand it out and buff. I would think dupont is the same way. In paint you get what you pay for so don't skimp on it. The less expensive products don't apply as easy.

Auto Transport Service
Back