• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which locking gas cap for 1968 Charger?

wasco

Local time
2:25 PM
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I see there are two locking gas caps listed for the '68 Charger: Slant 10492 and Gates 31670.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

They look identical on top, chrome with red circles, but the 10492 appears to have a thicker gasket. Do either of these actually work and fit or would I be better off getting a reproduction of the Mopar one which is four times more expensive, but if it works I guess it's worth it?

Thanks!

Neither one of those will work without modifying the the flip top cover. I bought mine from Laysons. It fits down flush with the top of the neck.

Thanks - I appreciate the confirmation. That's what I suspected and there's no way I'm messing with the original flip top!

I'll just run on down to my local friendly Dodge dealership and pick one up! They sure are nice looking in there. Reproduction will have to do!
Thanks

Re pops are $75.00 at Laysons. I only put one on my car because that flip top seems to attract a lot of attention. I was worried that someone would think it was a great place to put a hand full of sand or whatever else is at hand

Re pops are $75.00 at Laysons. I only put one on my car because that flip top seems to attract a lot of attention. I was worried that someone would think it was a great place to put a hand full of sand or whatever else is at hand

FYI - Laysons is now $89....

I have an NOS for $220. shipping included.
Original box and keys too.

nos gas cap.jpg

I have an original that was on my car 28 years ago that sits flush like pictured above. I agree, it is a good piece of mind. I cannot tell you how many times I walk back up to my car at a cruise night and find it popped or even opened all the way and standing upright. Somehow, I never see who did it?

Here's a new twist on the locking gas cap. This is on an original low mileage '68.

IMG_20190929_135352423_HDR.jpg

I paid ten bucks for NOS one back in the eighties,the guy had about a hundred of them new in the boxes!

Auto Transport Service
Back