• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Manual transmission for drag racing??

SCATPACK1

Local time
3:31 PM
Reaction score
Which is the preferred stick shift transmission for Big Block Mopar Drag racers?
Thanks for your help. I don't want to buy the wrong one. I have watched a lot of Bobby Fazio interviews and I am amazed at the trans options available.

How much are you willing to spend? I used to run Liberty trans, but if I was going to run my old stick car again I might go Lenco.

I’m putting a Gforce g 101 in as we speak I’ll keep ya posted
I used to run a Dr4 Jericho in my 65 dodge coronet and it worked well

How much are you willing to spend? I used to run Liberty trans, but if I was going to run my old stick car again I might go Lenco.
Liberty would stretch the budget, but not out of the question. Is there a good alternative for a clutch-less trans at a lower price? Also, I would like to occasionally run some super stock and maybe switch to Stock class car. Not just bracket stuff.

Last edited:
So probably no clutchless trans, or even any sort of race only aftermarket. Then you can't go too wrong with Chry 833 based box with Liberty's face plated gears.

No I prefer to go with a clutch-less trans. I have a Hemi trans now with Liberty face plated mods. Runs fine, but I feel like it is a ticking time bomb with my combo. New set up, still working out the bugs.

Face plated set up right should be good for 900hp; more than I ever needed. Though anything at really high rpm, high hp, needs pretty regular inspection and service. Odd thing to me as I was learning how to make it work was that I ended up using lower lb pressure plates than I imagined.

Lots of Guy run Clutch less in Stock despite the rules.
Never seen it enforced and we race Stock/SS a lot.

I'm going to "get in" on this thread because I may face the same situation. I certainly hope my Passon 855 holds up behind the long awaited, in process of getting all the parts together, 572 stroker. Bill Mitchell aluminum RB block, and major components received or paid for. Best guess 6XX to 7XX HP/torque, but I am having it gapped for a 350 shot of NO². If I need to replace the 855 should it break, I have a fully functional 18 spline 833 but I really like the 5th gear OD, especially since I switched from a 3:54 to the 4:10 ring and pinion gears.
I look forward to all replies!

I'm going to "get in" on this thread because I may face the same situation. I certainly hope my Passon 855 holds up behind the long awaited, in process of getting all the parts together, 572 stroker. Bill Mitchell aluminum RB block, and major components received or paid for. Best guess 6XX to 7XX HP/torque, but I am having it gapped for a 350 shot of NO². If I need to replace the 855 should it break, I have a fully functional 18 spline 833 but I really like the 5th gear OD, especially since I switched from a 3:54 to the 4:10 ring and pinion gears.
I look forward to all replies!
Going to a 1350 yoke cromoly driveshaft I assume?

G Force are pretty popular.
Thanks for the reply’s GTX, Outsider and 65.
GTX, do you have a you tube video of your car?
Also, 65 are you selling the trans you removed?
thanks again for the replies and thoughts

If you really want clutchless and new Liberty isn't in the budget then your only other options would be used Lenco or used Liberty from a defunct older Pro-mod team. The Liberty Doug Nash design isn't really a big chunk of money compared to the Equalizer. The G-force "Nash" design can be ordered clutchless as well.
I race with a Faceplated Richmond 5-Speed with Cryo treated gears but I don't have a ton of power just a 10 second street car.
Gus

If you really want clutchless and new Liberty isn't in the budget then your only other options would be used Lenco or used Liberty from a defunct older Pro-mod team. The Liberty Doug Nash design isn't really a big chunk of money compared to the Equalizer. The G-force "Nash" design can be ordered clutchless as well.
I race with a Faceplated Richmond 5-Speed with Cryo treated gears but I don't have a ton of power just a 10 second street car.
Gus
Gus you are the reason I have the faceplated Hemi trans I now use in my street Challenger
have ran it for years on the street and no issues
thanks For the info

This thread is giving me a lot of hope for my Passon 855. I will see about another chat w/Jamie P once my 572 gets close to firing up.
That way if anything can or should be done to reinforce the 855 I may still have time to do it.
Seems like my "Hemi" 833 has potential to at least make a viable backup for whatever my "primary" transmission is, and I'm certainly hoping that will always be the 855.

From some of the conversations I had with Jamie when he was still getting the gears done the material is stronger than the stock 18 spline gears.

Gus

From some of the conversations I had with Jamie when he was still getting the gears done the material is stronger than the stock 18 spline gears.

Gus
YES! and thanks!
I hope to avoid something like this:
Tower lane driver to me (as I'm sweeping hot, oily metal chunks up off the track: "What was that transmission rated at?"
Me: "Just a hair less than the last power it received..."

Current Pro-stocks now run 5 speed G-force or Liberty
I see more Liberty's than G-forces
I haven't been to a NHRA points sanctioned event, for a few years now
& they do well with 1350-1500hp if set up properly
it may have changed...

I used various Lenco or Jeffco, planetaries 3-4 or 5 speeds, with a reverse stuff
in lighter cars 2,600 (or 2,400 w/o ballast)
in my T/S cars, 526-528cid roots blown Enderle methanol inj. Milodon Hemi
or BBC 526-540cid on 3 shots, total of about 900hp of N2O 669 @ 217mph
at Sears Point & Sacramento raceway 14 or so years ago now
Sears Point
Budnicks 89 Camaro Z28 540ci Milodon Outlaw Pro-Stock Sears Point early 90's.JPG

Sacramento
Budnicks 92 Trans Am 540ci N20 Outlaw Pro-Stock Sac. Raceway early 90's.JPG

It's a nice & adjustable, for how hard you want them to hit
each gear can be adj. individually, for track conditions

(Some people even run them on the street, I had driven them a couple miles,
to & frowm a few times on the street, nothing substantial
)

there's a few guys that went to the Bruno-drive (Converter) in-front of them too
guys in Pro-Mod today too
actually 'got them more competitive, consistently, than they were with
a great hi-dollar slipper or good lock up clutch
', they did really well...
(I know not a 3rd peddle, but if it's faster & actually works better, who cares ?)
Or std older Style, Borge Warner/or weighted Diaphram
or 'multiple puck' disc type of deal (junk)
the flywheels, clutches, titanium cans, hats, cinders/discs, wear parts etc.,
pneumatic throwout bearing/if you went that route & fast enough
or just mechanical linkages
all need SFI proof of certifications, regularly too

were & still are getting crazy $$$, for wear parts
when you get over 1000+ HP

Funny how times change with a Bruno drive/ converter to drive a planetary Lenco trans today and back in the 60's you used a clutch to drive your automatic because converter technology was just getting started.

Gus

Auto Transport Service
Back