• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which solvent to de-gunk trim?

Hilljack68

Local time
3:34 AM
Reaction score
I just removed the windshield chrome and the glass. There was a ton of sealer/glue in the lower trim pieces. What's the best solvent to soak the pieces in to get this gunk out of the trim? ...gas? ...kerosene? ...dykem? Obviously I don't want to hurt the chrome, so I'd rather not just chink away at it. Thanks!
IMG_1946.JPG

No easy way. Is it the butyl sealer, hard or soft?

I’ve found the best thing for that is heavy wax and grease remover. Gas or kerosene would break it down too but W&G remover it’s as dangerous as gas.

Use a heat gun - not a torch, to soften it up and a wooden paint stir stick with a sharp tapered edge to scrape it off. Then acetone or paint thinner.

Soda blaster if you have access to one. Blast that stuff off in seconds and does not damage the chrome.

I found a long tub with a lid and soaked them over night in mineral spirits and rinsed them clean.

As stated, use something to heat it up and soften the butyl. I would set them out in the hot sun for a few hours. Then remove as much as you can manually, then use a solvent to remove the remainder. Lighter fluid is another option and not as intense as using gasoline.

Thanks for the help, fellas. Our "hot sun" in northern OH isn't so hot in late August, so I'll break out the heat gun.

Auto Transport Service
Back