• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Tach Adapter for MSD Ignition & Factory Tach?

PurpleBeeper

Local time
5:53 AM
Reaction score
I'm running a MSD ignition box & a factory (dealer) Dixco hood tach. The tach doesn't read right & I believe I need a MSD tach adapter, but which one?

121-8920.jpg
The 8920?
121-8910EIS.jpg
or the 8910?
THANK YOU!

I'm no electrical whiz and I installed the current MSD 6A about 30 yrs. ago, so I honestly don't know how I am triggering it (white wire or points terminal OR green/violet wires). How would I know? The wires attached to the distributor pickup? The car has a factory-style (direct connection) '72-'74 style electronic ignition. I'm try to install a bunch of MSD electronics & I have no idea what I'm doing. The tach adapter is step #1. Thanks for any help you can give me.

You can also check the individual installation instructions provided on the links i send how to connect.
If the wiring colours match your setup you might be able to figure it out.
I am not sure what type of rpm gauge you have, either voltage or current triggered type.
Also found below site for modifying your Dixco tach to work with modern type ignitions, although being more expensive i guess then adding a tach adapter.

http://www.tachman.com/dixco.htm

Auto Transport Service
Back