• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whistling Motor, Vacuum leak

Tias63

Local time
8:49 AM
Reaction score
Yes, I'm sure it's a Vacuum leak, but having a hek of a time finding it. I've done the spraying of a water bottle (with water) and nothing as far as changes in the idle. You only seem to hear this whistling when the motor is nice and hot, thus I don't feel comfortable spraying with Brake Cleaner, Carb Cleaner...
Any other tips or ideas?
The only time I've noticed a change is when I disconnect the vacuum advance, and the whistling will stop, but if I rev up the motor it will start again. Weird

I have used a propane torch, unlit of course. Not messy and doesn't ruin paint.

What motor /carb?

Check the vac advance case body for cracks...also the under hood heat tends to make the stretched ends of vac lines harden and a vac slips around them. Snip off the first inch or so and reattach.

I would try troubleshooting the vacuum advance with a brake bleeding vacuum pump.... see if it holds...maybe the noise is coming from the distributor..

This will sound nuts but I had a replacement pcv valve that would whistle at idle.
It was a plastic napa replacement one.

I swapped in a oem used one and the whistle was gone.

Have you changed the carb base gasket lately? I once tried a single opening gasket under an Edelbtock carb on my 67 GTX and it whistled loudly until I put ac4-hole gasket under it.

383 with a Holley 3310 I believe, Vacuum Secondary
OK. Do all of the above checks.. but holleys can often make a whistle as the air goes by the throttle blades.
Like Khryslerkid said, try giving the fuel mixture screws some love.

Does your car idle OK? I would think that with a vacuum leak you can hear, your car would not idle at all.

All good suggestions :thumbsup:

This will sound nuts but I had a replacement pcv valve that would whistle at idle.
It was a plastic napa replacement one.

I swapped in a oem used one and the whistle was gone.

A former brother in law had a Ferd truck and he said it had a whistle. No one could hear it but him. Well when he changed the PCV valve he said it was gone. Glad it did the trick :)

Does your car idle OK? I would think that with a vacuum leak you can hear, your car would not idle at all.
Idles and runs just fine. I found that if I disconnect the Vacuum advance, the whistling stops until I rev the motor. Then the whistle will return then stop when the motor idles down. The Carb was rebuilt about 2 years ago, but I'm going to clean it up and try a new gasket.

Great suggestions here, have a poly with factory intake with a tad larger carb on it and there’s not a ton of ‘sealing’ room around the base, has to be set square as possible. Check the base for vac leaks as posted and bolts torqued evenly.

Auto Transport Service
Back