• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White Top Blue Superbird - History?

SbirdSteve

Local time
9:34 PM
Reaction score
I bought this Superbird and looking to see if anyone knows anything about it. It was a North Carolina car several years ago. I bought in South Carolina last fall. I was told that the car went to Cotton Owens in 1970 for modification to race* but was never modified. Until I have documentation of this, I'm not believing that. But, possibly this "rumor" may help someone remember the car.

Originally a B5 blue bird, white bench seats, automatic 440. Painted Petty Blue in 1970's or early 1980's (based on the paint and body putty condition). Looks like it was dinged up with a dented nose: all filled in with putty. Frame is clean but some putty in lower quarters.

It looks like the white vinyl top is factory 1970 pattern, so maybe original*. But if not it certainly has been on the car for most it's life. So it would make it stand out form other Superbirds.

A picture of this car is on another thread on this forum: 1970 Super Bird for sale on ebay U code. I'll ask same question on that thread but ask that they reply on this thread.

Thanks!

* Comments regarding "Factory 'Birds with white tops" and "the only way race teams got cars were Bodies in White": should be started in another thread :)

Attachments

• 20141019_140716 K4 x606.jpg
    20141019_140716 K4 x606.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 2,215
Nice bird. I'm no superbird expert, but I'd say the top when on when the paint did. Check out my build thread for my version of a superbird.

I agree. From what I have been told by friends who have own(ed) super birds, they never got white tops or white patches on the nose. At least from the factory !

Update. Talked to a previous owner last night. Car was barn find in Roanoke, VA. Sat 20 years. Car was at Carlisle 2010 barn find display. I now have 2 new names of previous owners.

Yes, appears vinyl top put on when repainted (previous to 1978). No part number or expected factory marking on bottom side of the material. I don't think anyone has documented a factory white top 'Bird.

So, if anyone has history/knowledge of this car in the Roanoke VA area please contact me. Thanks!

Shouldn't the build sheet list the white Top option?

sorry Steve, But I didn't get all the info
So you do NOT have the "Build Sheet" ?
I like it as it sits...

Great car
Great history!

Congrads...

_Ski - thanks! Yes, I have build and fender tag. I knew all the codes by heart in the 1980's, but rusty now. So let me dust off a book and branch this thread a bit...
Quoting Hembree's first edition decode book (1990), his "V19" description says: "Special Order Vinyl Roof (Black)". Because "Black" is in parenthesis causes me to question if the same code could be used for a white top; maybe some other code triggered it? Or a manager said "make a few white tops to see what they look like". I think anything was possible back then. However, I would need some good proof to believe a factory white top bird existed.
*Disclaimer :) Keep in mind I stopped researching winged cars in 1990: There may be new facts that I am yet to catch up on. -SB Steve
(not sure why duplicated the image - tried to delete - can't - sorry)

Attachments

• 165381 broadcast V19.jpg
    165381 broadcast V19.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 682
  • 165381 broadcast V19 x640.jpg
    165381 broadcast V19 x640.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 681
Welcome SbirdSteve. Great 'Bird. If you can, haul it to the Chicagoland Mopar Connection show in Belevedere, IL. Maybe even enter it in the show. Check their website for the dates. Galen Govier usually shows up there and might be willing to answer some of your questions.

Thanks for the welcome, Rix. I'm in the CMC (Fox Valley) now. The 'Bird has started disassembly for some upgrades. Won't be until August when it gets back on the road. Did Belvidere back when it was at the Chrysler plant (had my '69 500 there). I haven't talked to Galen since 1990's when we both agreed no white tops. I'm sure I'll run across him at one of the shows. Maybe he has new information.

Update 9/30/2015: tried to remove the out of place black PLYMOUTH decal, but the 1970's repainted Petty Blue started pulling off. So added white PLYMOUTH in same incorrect (dry puking noise) place. Have added a white stripe on hood and wing. Stripe is made to appear 1970's distressed, and came out real good. Removing the "original" 1970's white vinyl top since it is dried out, torn, and pulled away from the roof rail molding. Will see what we find under it (such as a long shot that supports it being a factory top). Have a new repro Legendary white top to go on. Right or wrong, the car has had a white top since the mid 1970's, so keeping the same look to the car.

More info on car on its web site: bannedbird.com.

Anyone with pictures of car between 1970 - 2014, please contact me. Any knowledge of car before removed from barn, please contact me.

Thanks!

Update info on 2/20/2016

Just giving update. Still looking for any history to this car before 2005.

In the 1970's the car was driven off the road and ended up in a ditch. It bent the passenger rear quarter panel and trunk floor. I have not measured the frame or put it on a machine, but it looks fine. The ditch incident explains why the passenger side has a fair amount of putty in it.

Pulled off the white top. No markings on underside of material, so appears was aftermarket top.

The owner that had it in the barn passed away before it was removed from barn. His family didn't know much about car other than the ditch story.

I will do a title search some day - not a priority now.

Facebook.com/bannedbird has pictures of the car’s progress as does www.bannedbird.com.

Still hoping someone reads this that remembers the car. Thanks!

Like I've said before, NO superbirds were made with a white nose patch or white vinyl tops. You had one color which was black .

I agree - no one has ever documented a white top 'Bird from factory and I'm not saying there were any. I'm a pretty strict by-the-numbers guy since 1988.

However... back then, no one believed a burnt orange superbird was real factory. Or that Scary Larry had a 1972 440-6 roadrunner. So now I'm a bit more careful when I say "never" - lol.

Same car maybe, Denver 82-83, wing car show with Rocky Mountain Mopar show. Sorry Pic of a Pic. Think car was out of Missouri.

Attachments

• IMG_0623.JPG
    IMG_0623.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_0624.JPG
    IMG_0624.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 384
Gee Steve,
Someone has to know something about this Bird...
Perhaps a pic and a letter to the "Cotton Owens camp"?
I say you need more "traction" and "exposure"
This story needs to get more legs.
Maybe Tim Wellborn may know something about this car?

Same car maybe, Denver 82-83, wing car show with Rocky Mountain Mopar show. Sorry Pic of a Pic. Think car was out of Missouri.
Jaws: That B5 white top bird may be the one Ken Langford had at the 1975 winged car meet. Thx.

-Ski. I have since found that the Cotton Owens rumor was because a previous owner of my Bird had a Cotton Owens Charger same time as my Bird. So no reason to think my car was a Cotton Owens car at any time. Thx.

Just an update. This is same car Sept 2016
056A3434-X3 wm x448.jpg

Still looking for history on it. Was in central Virginia 1970's. In barn 1978 to 2005. Only a few white top Petty blue birds (not factory) running around back then, so any one remember? Thx!

Got pix of White Top Superbirds? I have started logging the white top superbirds that I have seen or have seen photos of. Not saying they are factory installed white tops. Just tracking them. Like the Beeler bird that was restored back to stock. Post or PM me with these cars please. Thx.

Auto Transport Service
Back