• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who buys CORES: Starters, alternators, A/C compressors, P/S pumps ?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:21 PM
Reaction score
I picked up some parts over the years and in almost every case, a parts stash includes several starters, alternators and other rebuildable stuff. I have scrapped several for the copper or aluminum inside but recently I was thinking that I should be setting this stuff aside for a better use.
Now, I'm not sitting on a gigantic bounty here but I could fill the bed of a truck with it. I have some master cylinders, brake calipers, brake boosters too.
Who knows of a place that buys cores?

I've dealt with the same over the years. All the OME replacements are scrap. Pieces with parts numbers and dates for like 68-72 would be wanted by guys doing correct restorations but you would probably selling it a piece at a time.
Dr Diff and the Ram Man might be interested in original master cylinders. Ram Man and Booster Dewey on the boosters.
Could probably sell some on the sites if you want to take the time for pictures and list the part numbers and dates.

You could try selling them as rebuildable cores. They can all be overhauled can they not?
Anymore, with the quality of parts these days I've decided to try to overhaul parts rather than just go to the parts store for a new one.
Might be more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited:
I deal with core companies (not core buyers, they sell to core companies) every week. BUT with the glut of dealers (myself included) and the need for LATE MODEL cores, what you have most likely is of minimal value at best unless you have a "numbers" core for someone's resto. Don't hold your breath... That Alt core off the 69 RR aint worth jack. Core companies got 20 yarders full of them and no one to buy them (rebuilders).

Sometimes I get asked, if that's the case why does Advance, NAPA, ect ect charge so much for cores? Well it's a numbers game. Lets make an easy to understand scenario. Lets say advance charges a $75 core charge.... Now lets say nationally they sold 1000 of item X that day. And 10% of people dont return their core x everyday of the week x every day of the year. Do the math it's not that complicated

The other thing is I ship gaylords full of cores. Most guys in your position maybe have a 5 gallon bucket worth.

Last edited:
The other thing is I ship gaylords full of cores. Most guys in your position maybe have a 5 gallon bucket worth.

I am not a stupid guy but I'm not familiar with "Gaylord" as a unit of measure...:bananadance:

A gaylord is a pallet sized very heavy duty cardboard box for most part. Generally multi layered walls and no top. Sometimes you see then at Home Depot with product, or like a Sams club full of watermelons. Side are usually around 4 ft high (ish)

I am not a stupid guy but I'm not familiar with "Gaylord" as a unit of measure...:bananadance:
I goobled 'Gaylord' and got this...

3bc6317b156b8873c0d69737fcf773f9-480-80.jpg

What the Focker? :lol:

A gaylord is a pallet sized very heavy duty cardboard box for most part. Generally multi layered walls and no top. Sometimes you see then at Home Depot with product, or like a Sams club full of watermelons. Side are usually around 4 ft high (ish)
Sounds like a humorous slang term but I sure don't know everything!

Sounds like a humorous slang term but I sure don't know everything!
Just like 'Kleenex' is a brand name that everyone associates with disposable tissues, 'Gaylord' is a brand name for cardboard shipping containers that fit on a pallet. Lots of companies make them, but the name sticks. A common size 'D' is 58”x42”45” and will hold about 1200 pounds.
Building-gaylord-box-diagram.png

That is funny.
I've heard all sorts of terms used to describe a "bunch" of stuff.
Truck load.
Shitload.
***-Ton.
Heck-of-a-lot.
If someone called me to say Greg, I have a GAYLORD full of thing-a-ma-jigs I would suspect that drugs were consumed prior to the call.

I have seen those cardboard containers though.

The Russians from Tampa buy them. No way to contact them, but when they show up once or twice a year, their rubles spend well. Four months ago, they bought 210 battery cores for $630

I buy distributor cores, if you have a electrical rebuilder in the area he would take the starters and alternators. Carb shops will take carbs. No idea on boosters try Cowboy John, call him
https://cowboyjohnsautoparts.com/antique-car-rebuilding.html
Also maybe @mobileparts on the brake stuff not sure if he rebuilds or not.
They usually pay a bit above scrap, but it will be re used at least.
Hope it helps.

Steer and Gear buys Power steering pumps but they are in Ohio. One style pays more than the other I think it's the federal ones.. They are in Ohio though and do East coast shows. Maybe there is someone like them over there..

Auto Transport Service
Back