• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who buys these super expensive Muscle Cars?

SteveSS

Local time
4:19 PM
Reaction score
I couldn't find an answer on the net. I mean most of us buy stuff in the $20K to $30K range. When prices are going crazy at an auction or private sale who are these guys? Are they just rich collectors or do they drive them to church on Sunday?

I just can't see a rich guy that is all about appearances driving a Hemi Charger. Isn't that a little gauche for the super-rich? I see it in the watch world when something becomes super expensive they are very understated.

I was walking around the Classic Auto Mall in Morgantown PA last Sunday wondering the same thing.

What about poor saps that have fairly expensive muscle cars and drive them?
In the rain even.. tisk tisk.. :thumbsup:
talladegaorbust2019 1295.JPG

In the rain even.. tisk tisk.. :thumbsup:
View attachment 860812
Sorry, I draw the line at rain. None of my stuff comes out with a threat of rain. I don't mind them getting wet as at the Wing Car Reunion Saturday afternoon. I can wipe them down, but the road has to be dry when I leave and it was. Sunday was a no go for me at Talladega, so that was a waste of $70, but that's me.

Sorry, I draw the line at rain. None of my stuff comes out with a threat of rain. I don't mind them getting wet as at the Wing Car Reunion Saturday afternoon. I can wipe them down, but the road has to be dry when I leave and it was. Sunday was a no go for me at Talladega, so that was a waste of $70, but that's me.

You dont have a Mustang dust buster do you?

I hear yah Jerry... I wouldn't have driven my Bee in that for almost 2 hours each way, but the Bird is undercoated and I bought in in '90. That one is just a car to me.. with no sentimental value..

Last edited:
I got wipers on the Coronet. Hellcats are a bargain.

I hear yah Jerry... I won't have driven my Bee in that for almost 2 hours each way, but the Bird is undercoated and I bought in in '90. That one is just a car to me.. with no sentimental value..
My Bird had no sentimental value to me when I got it in 2000, but after spending 4 years of spare time on every nut and bolt it has become attached to me. My wife was asked one time what she would do with my cars if something happened to me, and she replied that she would probably sell all of them except the Bird as she thought that one was the most special to me.

You dont have a Mustang dust buster do you?
I restored one of those pieces of junk when my stepson turned 16. It didn't take him long to destroy it and show his appreciation for vintage cars.

I would imagine the guys buying the primo restored and original rare cars are collectors who trailer to shows.

A fair share of buyers could just be doing very well in their careers or investments and want what they envied back when they were teenagers.

I'm a guy still working and setting a good chunk aside of money for retirement so I bought a basket case and did all my own work to get a driver. And yes, I drive it in the occasional rain. Still get a smile seeing no leaks and no fogged windows in the GTX. I certainly have more pressing priorities than an expensive car I'm afraid to drive.

Just my .02 cents, maybe, just maybe, because most of us here in the forum are middle class working guys and aslo middle age, buying a super car is a waste of money, our dreams, my dream is to have a nice house , enough money to pay my bills, a nice steak in my plate and a comfy bed where to sleep at night, the rest, included this beautiful hobby of owning a mopar is just that, a hobby, and a pretext to talk to you old farts here in the forum.

Last edited:
I've been down that road watching the buyers at the big time auctions.Honestly it is something for them to do,they have more money than God, and the honey hanging on their arm saying "I like that one,buy it for me ". I've sold cars at auction,nothing is more disturbing than the questions during viewing.I swear they know nothing about cars.
Then you get that one guy that knows what he is talking about,you can see it in his eyes.He would be in heaven if he could buy one.Something he will cherish, respect,and take care of. A real car guy.He bids to his max but is out bid by way more than he could afford only to go to a guy that will have it picked up along with several other cars he bought,sent to a warehouse never to be seen again. And the guy that bought them has forgotten what they were moments after,the accountants pay for them, and all is well in the big buck game. Sad but true.
Others,it's just a business, buy and sell, sometimes making a profit,sometimes not.The game goes on.

Auto Transport Service
Back