• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who can explain MIDWEST?

FU64RY

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:30 PM
Reaction score
So! If California is all the way WEST and Nebraska is in the middle of the USA then why?
are states EAST of Nebraska called the MIDWEST.
I would think that Utah would be MIDWEST and Ohio would be MIDEAST.

I've always called the southern "Great Lakes" area the "Mid-East".

makes a lot of people go "huh".

I have always wondered why anything east of the Mississippi is considered mid west. Old term never updated with the expansion/Louisiana Purchase?

MidWest is considered the northern tier of states from Ohio west to the Rocky Mountains.

Ima goin' with that as I don't want to live in the MidEast.

East Coaster term.. Just like Chicago has Western Suburbs and Far Western Suburbs.. There is West and Midwest..

You have to remember the term was coined by people on the east coast.
To them anything west of them was THE WEST. So to differentiate between near west and far west...just west of them became midwest and anything farther was the west.
MidWest is considered the northern tier of states from Ohio west to the Rocky Mountains.

Ima goin' with that as I don't want to live in the MidEast.
But Missouri is midwest. So is Texas. Can't go much farther south....

So if food doesn't stick to Teflon, what makes Teflon stick to the pan?:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Midwest is where people live when they want to work hard /play hard & not look down their noses at others.You know us backard redneck hillbilly type that don’t have to lock their doors or get an emissions sticker cause we probably could pass anyhow

You have to remember the term was coined by people on the east coast.
To them anything west of them was THE WEST. So to differentiate between near west and far west...just west of them became midwest and anything farther was the west.

But Missouri is midwest. So is Texas. Can't go much farther south....
Reminds me of a funny conversation when I had to spend six weeks in a job training program in NY. One of my classmates who lived there asked me where I was from and I said Wisconsin. He replied "Is that out near California?"

Looks like the term varies per region.

I was taught it was the region North of Appalachia and the Mason Dixon Line, and East of the Mississippi River. St. Louis is the gateway to the west, and KC/ Independence, Mo is the front door. Everything West of that, is the west

I just know that’s where I’m from - Minnesota = Upper Midwest

century old terminology

like said above

Heck! all this time I thought I was a Yankee!

I think the terms should be clarified.
Midwest is between the Mississippi and the Rocky Mountains.
Western is west of the Rockies.
But this could only be a general rule.
It gets a little grey with states that have Rockies in them like Colorado.
So I'm still confused.
Unless we make "midwest" refer to an AREA and not a particular state.
Then the term midwest makes sense.

Auto Transport Service
Back