• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Grew Up With The TV Show Combat?

Auggie56

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:14 AM
Reaction score
Was eleven when it started and recall how at school the guys would tell their side on how it should have went. Not one soul sided with the axis, different story these days.

Probably one of my favorite shows when I was a kid. They don’t make them like that anymore.

yup, combat, rat patrol, 12 oclock high. Most all of our dads/uncles, teachers and regular men aroud my small town had served or been in the War and the younger guys were starting to come home from Korea. It was a great time in America then. Never seen a little boy that minded standing in line or waiting your turn or didn't know the words to the National Anthem. And, we were willing to serve also.

If you stop & think about it, almost every male you saw back then was a veteran. That’s why you couldn’t get away with anything!

I have the entire box set on DVD. I wish they would release 12 O'Clock High that way. My greatest disappointment in life is that my kids and grandkids will NEVER experience the peacefulness we had as kids.

We watched it with our dad every week.....SGT Saunders, LT Hanely, Kirby, Little John, Cage. Ted Knight played a German Captain in an episode. A lot of great tv shows back in the 60's.

One of my favorite shows too (born in '55). The five year period that Combat ran was probably the happiest, carefree period of my entire life.

I saw a clip one time of a Combat scene where, if you paid attention, you could see local Burbank traffic moving behind the jeep and trees in the foreground.

When I played army in the back lot, I wore a zip-up camouflage uniform and carried a plastic canteen (with tap water, of course).

army.jpg

Last edited:
I watched the show and others as a kid; Vic Morrow had his life cut short from a weird accident filming I think a twilight zone movie, he was hit by a helicopter during a stunt back in the early 80's. Also remember a movie when he played a wicked cop driving a '57 Plymouth with push bars on the car. He would push people off the road over cliffs...lol.

I watched the show and others as a kid; Vic Morrow had his life cut short from a weird accident filming I think a twilight zone movie, he was hit by a helicopter during a stunt back in the early 80's. Also remember a movie when he played a wicked cop driving a '57 Plymouth with push bars on the car. He would push people off the road over cliffs...lol.
"California Kid" w/ Martin Sheen as the 'Kid' driving a black, flamed chopped 32 Ford coupe

I remember the show well. I always thought it was rather odd that one squad got into so much **** and always came out on top, but I guess that's TV.

This thread reminded me that Combat was the very first TV show I saw after getting back to the states from Viet Nam........ go figure. After getting hit I was evac'd from Camp Zama Japan to Scott AFB where I spent the night before being moved to Glenview Naval Air station and then on to Great Lakes Naval hospital. While in the barracks at Scott, the TV was on and wouldn't you know it, on comes Combat. Can you just imagine a ward full wounded combat vets watching this TV show. I'll never forget how we tore it apart pointing out all their tactical mistakes. All rather comical as I think back about it.

Auto Transport Service
Back