• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has spent more on storage fees for project car than car is worth?

451Mopar

Local time
2:22 AM
Reaction score

Example of my 1969 Coronet R/T Hardtop. I bought it way back in April 1994. It was a bracket race car with most of the interior removed, non numbers matching car, but with a 1969 non HP 440, and 727 trans that needed rebuilt. Body wise, has bulge hood and side scoops, but needs entire trunk, and lower extensions and at min, lower quarters replaced. The Good part is I only paid $700 for it. The bad part has it has been stored a various places, some free, others paid for, for the last 25 years (in April.) I likely have over 10x the purchase price in storage fees!

CS70x9-UEAAL1zC.jpg

Just getting some pressure from some friends to let it go (They want it), so I will have time/money for the other car projects.
I was about to get working on it, but seems everytime I get both the Charger and Convertible running, one will want some attention?

If you haven’t had time for it in the last quarter century, it’s probably time to pass it along to someone who has time and motivation to work on it.

That’s an objective opinion with no offense meant. I know sentimental forces come into play as well.

I always tell myself if I have to start paying to store things then it is time to sell a few things. So far, I haven't had to pay yet, so I am keeping all the toys and parts I have for now.

Example of my 1969 Coronet R/T Hardtop. I bought it way back in April 1994. It was a bracket race car with most of the interior removed, non numbers matching car, but with a 1969 non HP 440, and 727 trans that needed rebuilt. Body wise, has bulge hood and side scoops, but needs entire trunk, and lower extensions and at min, lower quarters replaced. The Good part is I only paid $700 for it. The bad part has it has been stored a various places, some free, others paid for, for the last 25 years (in April.) I likely have over 10x the purchase price in storage fees!

I have a very good friend who was just as dopey as you, except with a 1979 Chrysler 300. He had far more into it in storage fees than the car was worth. Fortunately, myself & another friend were finally able to talk some sense into him and get the car out of there and talked him into selling it. If not for us, he'd still be paying storage fees on it.

What this goes to show is that you need smart and caring person just like me in your life.

I always tell myself if I have to start paying to store things then it is time to sell a few things. So far, I haven't had to pay yet, so I am keeping all the toys and parts I have for now.

This is where I would draw the line too.

With regards to storage fees, I suppose we could include how much many of us have paid for extra garages or pole barns etc., but in the end you still have the storage building as opposed to ending up with nothing after paying for storage fees.

If you haven’t had time for it in the last quarter century, it’s probably time to pass it along to someone who has time and motivation to work on it.

That’s an objective opinion with no offense meant. I know sentimental forces come into play as well.

No offense taken, I was expecting this type response. Time flys and I did not even know it had been 25 years until I ran across the title the other day.
I have been thinking more seriously about selling it, but I was thinking of swapping some parts from it to the Convertible. The Hardtops K-Member, and Doors are in better condition the the Convertible, and I was going to put the 8-3/4" in the Coronet 500.
The plan was to make the R/T hardtop more pro touring with RMS Altercation K-member suspension. I have a 2008 6.1L Gen III with NAG trans, and the electronic throttle and shifter already. Was going to use a Strange S-60 rear in the car too.

but I was thinking of swapping some parts from it to the Convertible. The Hardtops K-Member, and Doors are in better condition the the Convertible.

Just an FYI the doors themselves are the same but the wing vent window frames are different form a hard top to a convertible....

Sounds like you already Know what to do ! Swap out the best parts to what your keeping! Then sell it to your buddy with the not so nice stuff on it!
Paying for storage is a no no here! If I don't have the room I can't buy it!
I bought extra inside storage awhile back for nicer cars it's a 20x12 shed got it used for $3000 it holds my charger / charger parts / a dinning room set my lawn care stuff a propane stove a ton of propane..... Stuff like that ! Very useful building!

Got any pictures?

The family I bought my GTX from had it in storage before "grandpa" died. And he was gone over 12 years when I first had contact with the family (that they were thinking about selling). I guess "grandma" got sick of paying the fee's at the uhaul storage or one of the siblings took a look at her finances. Altho it was stored "indoors" the dampness in the sealed unit did it no favors. And it took another year before they finally decided to let it go. I think they watched one to many episodes of Barrett-Jackson

With regards to storage fees, I suppose we could include how much many of us have paid for extra garages or pole barns etc., but in the end you still have the storage building as opposed to ending up with nothing after paying for storage fees.[/QUOTE]
I first built a 30X60 two story barn to store 4 cars and parts. When I bought the fifth car there was no room to work. Then I bought a small house on a larger property and subdivided it and sold the house. I built a 60X100 building on the property which now has 23 cars inside, and 4 parts cars outside. I have added a 40 foot storage container and a 2 car shed there too. It seems that I fill up everything. All this since 1990 and no room again. I have managed to do a couple of 2 for one trades to enhance my collection, but at some point this nonsense needs to stop. I need downsizing help, but when I decide that I'm going to sell one, I get it out and ready it to sell. While doing this I get renewed interest and put it away again. At 71 I just hope this doesn't stop suddenly and my wife has to get rid of it.

My wife wanted me to rent a storage locker awhile back.... (house hold ****). Your post is exactly why I didn't

...or you could buy a storage facility...

my car was in "storage" for 6 years I hate to think how much it cost !

I may be close. My car was wrecked 20+ years ago and I had to pay to store it most of that time + transport it across the country at least 4 times + a second storage place for my tools/parts.

The good news......it's all in one piece, I have all the parts and it's 95% assembled. It just needs paint & seat upholstery + a few odds & ends.

thank goodness, never have had that problem

I wish I had more room now, a 20' x 20' garage,
a shed & a couple of carports aren't enough
but I refuse to rent anything, especially for storage

if I don't have room for it indoors or under cover,
I sell it, thin the herd...

I do miss my old 64,000 sqft warehouse
I use to store my long term projects, do fabrication etc.
but mostly stored/housed construction co. materials & co. vehicles
parked my tow-rig & trailers, so not to piss off my neighbors
when I lived in Turtle Creek
but;
I don't miss the electric bill & property taxes
I did have a couple long renters, that basically helped/paid for it...

When I first got the car, I was able to store it at my sisters house in a really dusty pole barn for free. Then I got a small house with a 4-car detached garage and had it stored there for a few years (still mostly free storage), then sold that house for a larger house, but 3-car garage more free storage, but loss of space for the daily driver cars. Got divorced and sold the house and had car stored in regular type storage for about a year (costly storage.) Then a guy from car club had indoor storage for $60/month and had the car there for several years, but not a place where I could work on the car. Then a friend build a good size shop, and was offering storage to help pay for the shop. This is a place I can work on the car and the car has been there for at least 10+ years at the same $60/month storage fees.

I was talking to another friend today and he mentioned that his car is in regular (expensive) storage, and that he and his brother are planning to build an oversize 2 or 3 car garage/shop that they can install a lift in.

Just my opinion, but turning an R/T into a parts car, is a bit painful.
You could probably find somebody on here to pay you enough to recoup some of your losses.

Auto Transport Service
Back