• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is a Soap Opera Watcher ?

WileERobby

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:14 PM
Reaction score
Ok, guys and gals... step up and admit it. Confess, and be praised or ridiculed. Anybody either watches, or used to watch, any TV soap opera. I'll step up myself here. I've never, ever watched any daytime S.O., but I was an avid watcher of 2, and only 2, primetime S.O. From the "Who shot J.R. ? " episode, that my wife got me watching, I became a fan of "Dallas" and then, subsequently "Knots Landing". Now, you may say, hey you watched for the eye candy. But, really I got into all the drama on both shows. Larry Hagman was great. And, I also thought Kevin Dobson on K.L. just as well. So, let's hear from anyone... from the S.O. junkie to the S.O. hater... WHAT SAY YOU ?

I ain't skeert to tell...
Dallas
Knots Landing
Guiding Light (lunchtime in the military)
Soap
Flamingo Road
Others I know that I can't remember. Seems to me that a "Soap Opera" could be considered a show that is a continuation of the previous episode, and there are a ton of TV shows that could be classified as a "Soap"...

I watched the Young and the breast less for years. I was on shift work. Wife watched it every day.

Desperate times brings desperate measures

We have officially hit a new low

I ain't skeert to tell...
Dallas
Knots Landing
Guiding Light (lunchtime in the military)
Soap
Flamingo Road
Others I know that I can't remember. Seems to me that a "Soap Opera" could be considered a show that is a continuation of the previous episode, and there are a ton of TV shows that could be classified as a "Soap"...
That show "soap" was really a comedy... and a good one !

90210 and Melrose place...lol. then 24 and the last 1 was Nashville.

I did watch like 6 weeds in a row just the last few days....but I'm over it now.

use to watch a country practice( Aussie show that ran from 81 to 94 )
MV5BMTQ2MzUyMGItZDFhMi00NjViLTliMmYtOWI1OWE3ZDA1OWM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTc2NTI3OTk@._V1_.jpg

Daytime suck operas just flat out suck. My first wife loved them and I couldn't stand them but yeah did watch Dallas and a couple other shows I can't remember anymore.

how-about-no-bear (2017_10_11 10_04_54 UTC).jpg
No.
HELL no.
Nope...
noooo.gif

To me, the only programming worse than soaps are "reality" (read: lowest
common denominator) shows.
Mama loved her soaps back when we were kids in the 60's/70's - but the only
time I didn't run out the door for outside activities that I can recall is when
Barnabas Collins came on the screen.
I dug me some Barnabas, he was a badass.

Daytime soaps are mostly gone now thankfully - but a newer type of programming
these days that I find just as insulting to the ol' noggin (thanks, evil Discovery
network) are those "mystery of the....(fill in the blank)" type shows,
where the same cast of "expert" characters all tell you the same damn thing
about some natural anomaly you could have looked up on Google in 4 seconds -
and somehow make a whole show out of it.
Annoying as hell.

NFW!!
I've got enough problems in my life without
following the made up every day termoils
of actors that enjoy fish eggs and champagne.

My grandmother watched "guiding Light" and "As the World Turns" during the late 70's and 80's.
I never paid attention*, but they were always on. Always.

One day in high school (circa 1984/5) I overheard some girls in the steno class talking about "Roger and Holly" and then "Patch and Kayla".
Without missing a beat, I corrected some of the items referenced and added a nearly complete 4 year history ahead of when they picked up the "stories".
I kind of surprised my self that the info had lodged in there.

Also around 1987 several years after I no longer stayed at my grandmothers house after school, I overheard some cashiers discussing the same charters where I worked.
Despite not having seen any of the "story" since around 1981, I was "up to speed" after only about 5 minutes of their conversation, and again my "backstory" was relevant.

WTF is wrong with me?

In my defense, most of the girls involved were cute as hell, so any conversation is good.

*...and that Kayla (Mary Beth Evans) was quite a hottie.

Soap, and even went to a Comedy Club in Arlington, Texas to see "Chuck and Bob".

My wife always liked Another World and Dallas. When VHS showed up she had me record both. Then we would argue over when to watch it, she won and to be honest I sat with her and watched from that day forward till they both stop running. I have NEVER admitted that out loud.
another world.jpg
Stars-of-Dallas-Soap-Opera-FTR.jpg

Last edited:
One day in high school (circa 1984/5) I overheard some girls in the steno class talking about "Roger and Holly" and then "Patch and Kayla".
WTF is wrong with me?
In my defense, most of the girls involved were cute as hell, so any conversation is good.
*...and that Kayla (Mary Beth Evans) was quite a hottie.
Back in my day, Payton Place was the rage amongst the cuties. I had NO part of that ! But..but.. time out, here... what were YOU doing in steno class ?? Ehh ?? You sneaky dog !

Auto Transport Service
Back