• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who makes the best distributor? (MP rotor phasing issue)

INTMD8

Local time
10:13 AM
Reaction score
Thought I had my car running well but the more I pushed rpm I found it would break up at 5200+. Started checking everything and found rotor phasing way off.

Would buy the multi slot reluctor if I thought the rest of the distributor was decent but read it suffers from other issues as well.

Looking at my options (for 426 hemi) I see Firecore keeps coming up however I am a bit reluctant as the internals look very similar to the MP unit. Can anyone confirm these have proper rotor phasing out of the box? (or has no one checked)

Would guess MSD is good though I don't really like the appearance. (but performance is priority).

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

I use a firecore distributor with a fbo ecu, checked phasing with an old cap i cut a hole in and its good through the rpms, even with vacuum advance.
Btw my old mp unit was absolute trash.

20190410_201530.jpg

Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear. I'll order one tomorrow.

I couldn't get a photo while running but set it up in the following photo as how it looked. I decided to take a look after it appeared to be firing off the trailing edge of the rotor.

KsoL35.jpg

If I remember correctly, I had a few “quality control” issues with my Firecore distributor when it showed up. I was disappointed but was able to repair the issues and have had no problems with it since. (2 years).

Thought I had my car running well but the more I pushed rpm I found it would break up at 5200+. Started checking everything and found rotor phasing way off.

Would buy the multi slot reluctor if I thought the rest of the distributor was decent but read it suffers from other issues as well.

Looking at my options (for 426 hemi) I see Firecore keeps coming up however I am a bit reluctant as the internals look very similar to the MP unit. Can anyone confirm these have proper rotor phasing out of the box? (or has no one checked)

Would guess MSD is good though I don't really like the appearance. (but performance is priority).

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

MSD is pretty common upgrade and they sell a phasable rotor too, but they are pricy.
What ignition box? I think only the programmable boxes have inductive delay compensation, and maybe adjustable reference angle (could be used to make small changes to rotor phasing.) The Holley Sniper EFI has these adjustments. FiTech has inductive delay adjustment, but I don't think the reference angle is adjustable?

The multi-slot reluctor could correct the phasing problem, and then just adjust timing to compensate for the inductive delay.

I use an FBO distributor and ecu. Don will curve and phase the distributor to your engine specs. No complaints

a few days ago I went back to points in my '69 r/t. runs smoother and nicer.

At the moment I have a rev-n-nator and coil.

Inductive delay compensation would be great, seems like that should be a feature of any aftermarket box.

The FBO distributors appear to be firecore? Easy enough to set the curve (and I suppose change phasing as well if need be) but seems it wouldn't be hard to build them out of the factory with at least -close- phasing.

Thanks guys.

a few days ago I went back to points in my '69 r/t. runs smoother and nicer.

I believe it. Actually considered that as well if everyone said nothing was made correctly anymore.

Have points in my 59 Cadillac and it always runs perfect. I just check the dwell once a year when I change the oil.

BE098719-C27C-432C-A594-C3A9CBF79F7E.png

HEI setup is as good or better then anything out there.

Not going to help a rotor phase issue but it will fire the plugs!

I believe it. Actually considered that as well if everyone said nothing was made correctly anymore.

Have points in my 59 Cadillac and it always runs perfect. I just check the dwell once a year when I change the oil.
if I can find a good Prestolite i'm going to strip out the electronics in my other car.

You can alter the rotor phasing of any distributor by altering the pickup or trigger location.
It is a bit of work but generally not that hard.

You can alter the rotor phasing of any distributor by altering the pickup or trigger location.
It is a bit of work but generally not that hard.

Yes I mentioned that was an option but opted not to considering that distributor is known for other issues as well.

The plate that the pickup bolts to is rather floppy which didn't seem like a good thing on something running a .008 gap

OK. There is an ignition people are starting to use here called ICE.
I have never fitted one but a friend has one and he thinks it is good.
I have used MSD a lot and had little trouble.

Yes I mentioned that was an option but opted not to considering that distributor is known for other issues as well.

The plate that the pickup bolts to is rather floppy which didn't seem like a good thing on something running a .008 gap

If using an after market ecu with adjustable advance the solid shaft lean burn distributor has no plate slop with its fixed plate pickup. Bushing ware would be the only issue as with any distributor.

If using an after market ecu with adjustable advance the solid shaft lean burn distributor has no plate slop with its fixed plate pickup. Bushing ware would be the only issue as with any distributor.

I've ordered the Firecore but will keep that in mind for the future if I go to efi. Thanks

as far I have found VISUALLY the diff between the Firecore dist ( not the RTR ) and the Mallory/MP unit is just the way how you can service the shaft bushings, being really serviceable on the Firecore, and more tricky on the Mallory/MP ( same as the stock one ). That was really disapointing to me, because I thought it could be with bearings instead bushings and I though on get it quite ago. So far so good I'll keep the Mallory/MP with me now.

Now, I can't tell about the precision about the vacuum advance plate movement, which is the big issue on stock and Mallory/MP pieces.

Need to note the Mallory/MP shaft gets the rotor around 90° off, so if you want to presserv the number one on cap with the spark plug wiring order, will need to set the oil pump driveshaft correctly indexed ( not like factory ) to match the rotor able to match the number 1 on cap.

Aside that, if you don't want to drill a cap, clear caps are available, even with brass terminals. I got a couple of them.

About the multislotted reluctor... well I got it and ended installing on the factory location LOL.

I received the Firecore distributor yesterday and the vacuum advance plate is very solid compared to the MP unit.

I didn't take it apart to see the upper but the lower part of the housing has a bearing not a bushing on the shaft.

Rotor phasing is better but still not perfect (still firing past the cap terminal) So seems like rotor would need to move clockwise in relation to the trigger. (or trigger moved counterclockwise in relation to rotor, same result either way I guess)

Still breaking up at 5k rpm+.

Makes me wonder if there is some kind of internal delay in the ignition box, if that's even possible.

I just ordered a cheap "hi rev 7500" box and a new coil to install and compare.

Edit- Just another thought but also going to check if the polarity on the pickup is reversed. (though I thought I confirmed that the male terminal of the vehicle wiring fired the coil) Unlikely both distributors so maybe something in my wiring harness.

When I installed the Firecore I put number 1 on compression 20deg btdc on the dampener and installed distributor with rotor pointing to #1 and magnetic pickup was also aligned with a tooth.

After firing it I expected initial timing to be very close to 20 deg with that method but it I needed to advance the distributor quite a bit in order to achieve 20deg.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back