• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

who makes the best exhaust manifold gasket

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score
for a 383 factory exhaust manifolds , who makes the best gasket?
dan

The iron manifolds can bolt directly to the head using high temp silicone if the surfaces are good enough. The surfaces need to be cleaned pretty carefully however.
I do use Felpro. If the gasket you use is too soft you can crack the manifold as it tightens unevenly. If you bolt direct to the cylinder head you avoid this. I have personally never had a problem with Felpro and iron manifolds but I am always careful the snug the manifold carefully starting with the middle fasteners and work outwards.

I have custom made gaskets from a little shop in the Bay of Plenty here in NZ.

https://www.gasketsbop.com/

Cheap, and fast service. Takes the guess work out of potential exhaust leaks.
All I had to do was provide a sample with my requirements...got gaskets by return courier 4 days later.

upload_2019-5-20_7-57-26.png

Sparkplugs are only in loose to prevent foreign objects entering the cylinders. :D
I also used studs with serrated lock washers...they are not coming loose by accident.

I forgot to say you can only bolt iron manifolds directly to an iron head.
If you have aluminium you need a gasket.

My manifolds are warped so I used a thin coat of high temp rtv (no gasket). 2 years later and no leaks.

Another vote for the Remflex...they seal great and, if you ever have to remove them, they clean off much easier than conventional gaskets. WARNING! Don't drop, bend, smash, crack, or otherwise compromise them or they will blow out and leak on start-up. Their fragility is the only downside...but their sealing is so much better it's worth it to be careful when installing.

I know this is an old thread...but does anyone cut out the “middle” of the exhaust gaskets...the “bar” so to say joining the parts that actually do the sealing....so that it looks like there is nothing there...like factory?

Can these Remflex gaskets be cut?

I know this is an old thread...but does anyone cut out the “middle” of the exhaust gaskets...the “bar” so to say joining the parts that actually do the sealing....so that it looks like there is nothing there...like factory?

Can these Remflex gaskets be cut?
Remflex is brittle material.

Can you cut them...to remove the excess in the middle that serves no purpose? Or am I out to lunch!!? Lol

Can you cut them...to remove the excess in the middle that serves no purpose? Or am I out to lunch!!? Lol
I cut those areas out of the FelPro gaskets. On my third 440 with manifolds and no issues. Never used Remflex.

My manifolds are warped so I used a thin coat of high temp rtv (no gasket). 2 years later and no leaks.
I have a friend that swears by the RTV method. RTV means Room Temperature Vulcanizing (curing). The best RTV either made by GE Silicone or Dow Corning 700 series material. However it has a thermal limit of ~500°F. The surface temperature of an exhaust manifold on a properly tuned engine can reach +800°F. Perhaps the all the manifold sealing surfaces should be machined flat, parallel in the same plane and installed without any external sealing materials...but definitely WITHOUT any RTV compounds. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

There is a wire mesh inside Remflex gaskets can be cut but be very very very careful. Had to buy an extra pair of collector gaskets. Broke one enlarging a hole, then dropped it that finished it off.

Auto Transport Service
Back