• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who runs 4 drums no booster?

t.flatt

Local time
9:09 AM
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is how I'm going to set my car up mostly because that is how the car was when I got it. And, the engine compartment looks great with no worries of a booster taking up the vacuum! When I first put the car together the brakes worked other than one time when my friend gunned it down a stretch of road and said, "Oh, ****, I can't stop," as we got to an intersection! But, I did absolutely nothing to the brakes other that topping them off with fluid. Any comments or advice? I want to get some brake lines ordered soon!

My '67 4dr Coronet w 383 came 4 drums no booster. It stopped just fine. But I converted front to disc w no booster. Stops great and pedal feel is even easier to stop it.

My 67 green 440 GTX runs 11X3 front and 11X2.5 on the rear, no booster. No issues stopping. That was the factory heavy duty brake package and I believe standard on the GTX.
My 67 red 440 GTX, same deal.

Last edited:
Mine is .
Although I would like to update to front disc brakes sooner than later

My feelings on this is, all cars without ABS systems, the best you can hope for is to slide the tires in a panic stop situation. My cars with 4 wheel drums do this easily and stop straight, so why would disc brakes be any better. The only reason I see is brake fade from constant use, or if one rides the brakes.

4 drums, no booster stops just fine. I think it's just what you get used to. I see no reason to change.

I have 4 drums with no booster and my car has been a race car it's entire life. Ma Mopar built them right. I replaced everything in the brake system a few years ago, just because.

inline tube is where I got my lines form. Stainless steel. My buddy put them on his runner and said he had problem's getting them to seat but after a couple of time's of loosening them and tighten them they stopped leaking. But I did think to my self Have Iron master cylinder and the wheel cylinders are iron also. But at least the lines wont rot into.

Four drums, stops great

5BAEF4CD-7381-4C1B-9BF3-0079EF46C982.jpeg

Both of our cars have drim brakes with no booster and they stop just fine. One has a 496 stroker motor and has no problems. I'm going to leave them this way!

My feelings on this is, all cars without ABS systems, the best you can hope for is to slide the tires in a panic stop situation. My cars with 4 wheel drums do this easily and stop straight, so why would disc brakes be any better. The only reason I see is brake fade from constant use, or if one rides the brakes.
Once the tires lock up, the rubber begins to melt. This increases stopping distance. The best stopping w/out ABS is "impending lockup". Front discs can maintain impending lockup longer and therefore can stop in a shorter distance. Front discs also begin to stop sooner once wet. These are facts from NHTSA accident investigation course.

Once the tires lock up, the rubber begins to melt. This increases stopping distance. The best stopping w/out ABS is "impending lockup". Front discs can maintain impending lockup longer and therefore can stop in a shorter distance. Front discs also begin to stop sooner once wet. These are facts from NHTSA accident investigation course.
Ummmmmm, okay. I have 550 HP in a 63 Dodge with 4 wheel drums. She will run 11's and stop on a dime. Those are facts from the Mopar or NoCar manual.

If someone pulls out in front of you impending lockup is the last thing on your mind. I don't drive mine in the rain or enough water to get into the drums. I have seen numerous pictures of supposedly finished cars without shields on disc brakes so apparently water isn't a issue for them.
On the other side of the coin, I fully realize that today's technology is better than our 50+ year old cars. If mine is not broke I'm not going to fix it.

If someone pulls out in front of you impending lockup is the last thing on your mind. I don't drive mine in the rain or enough water to get into the drums. I have seen numerous pictures of supposedly finished cars without shields on disc brakes so apparently water isn't a issue for them.
On the other side of the coin, I fully realize that today's technology is better than our 50+ year old cars. If mine is not broke I'm not going to fix it.
And I have seen yours, DEFINITELY not broke!! Maybe a little overcrowded, though. I will stop by to relieve you of some of your burden.

:lol:

And I have seen yours, DEFINITELY not broke!! Maybe a little overcrowded, though. I will stop by to relieve you of some of your burden.

Stop by anytime, bring a big truck full of coins.

My 67 green 440 GTX runs 11X3 front and 11X2.5 on the rear, no booster. No issues stopping. That was the factory heavy duty brake package and I believe standard on the GTX.
My 67 red 440 GTX, same deal.
I've got the green '70 GTX and once I actually actually rebuild the drums, I think it should stop great! I like to hear other people have great success with this setup!

Auto Transport Service
Back