• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Uses a Pistol Grip Shifter for Competition or Bracket Racing?

Dibbons

Local time
8:48 PM
Reaction score
When I had my street/strip bracket racer I started out with the pistol grip shifter. Power-shifting on the street with that handle seemed to be a hit or miss deal for me.

I swapped in a T-Handle slanted slightly toward 3rd gear and don't remember ever missing a full-throttle power shift after the switch. So I was wondering if it was just me, or if the pistol-grip is not considered ideal for a racing situation for those serious drag racers?

Hurst.jpeg pistol.jpeg

I think serious racers probably used the T handle more than anything else because it was very forgiving as it relates to grip. The pistol grip is awesome, but if the car gets squirrely and you need both hands on the wheel, then need to shift, the T handle is very easy to gain control of whereas the pistol grip requires a more focused effort (just my opinion).

Would love to see a video of you Power-shifting ................

I've had all three in my truck.

...and honestly, I prefer the ball.

I actually like the pistol grip the best for racing. Easier to grip.
Doug

No problem power shifting for about 3 years now w/my pistol grip and helicopter joystick combo (B-Body bench seat shift rod)..
Besides, my 1970 Roadrunner is "correct" with the pistol grip, and while I would replace it if some other handle was significantly better, I like the PG.

Auto Transport Service
Back