• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who uses tubes in their slicks?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
I've raced both with and without but I saved a pair of old Firestones from the early 80's mainly to use for trial fit when building something up and kept the tubes in them semi inflated. They are 12.2/13.25x15's and they've been in storage for many years and it was surprising to see the tubes are still in excellent condition. Even when you pinch the rubber between your fingers, there's no sign of any cracking. I'm getting rid of a bunch of stuff and the slicks have seen better days (hell, they sucked when I was racing with them) so they are fixing to be gone but noticed that the tubes were still very nice so I pulled them out to give them a better look. The last time these things went down the track was 35 years ago!! What are these things made with to withstand the test of time!?? Doubt I'll ever use them but I sure wouldn't be afraid to.....

Just put tubes in all four corners on my silver car. I don't trust the Super-Trick rims to seal.

I use to run tubes & liners, plus screwed the slicks to the wheels
in all my cars with racing slicks, I started doing it in dirt cars 1st,
until Beed-locks came around readily available

liner install {no tubes/tubeless}

rim screws old school, before Beed-locks were popular

tube installation

I also hated going out to the shop & seeing the car with
one or both slicks flat, with tubes & liners never had that issue either

but I was also running cars, almost always faster than 10's too
started running in the 8's in 1979-80, in my dedicated racecars
IMO on a 6, 7 or 8 second car, last thing you need is problems with tires
I really never had any issue with any of them...

But; it ads a tad bit more weight & probably not a good idea for
faster than 250mph, may cause more problems,
But; my quickest was 5.90's & fastest was 227mph
for most people the racing tubes & liners would be a great idea...

I'd never run a racing slick or almost any racing tire without a liner anymore...

Last edited:
Cranky- no direct sunlight should make them fine especially when inside the slicks. 35yrs., awesome.

I run tubes in my Bias Ply 28" tall M/T slicks. Plus I do have the tires screwed to the rims.
I run 16lbs of air in my 3640 lb Coronet.
I talked with the Tire Tech at Mickey Thompson and they said do not run less than 15 lbs with a "heavy" car as they will "cup up" in the middle (in effect crush the tire). I have found after many test and tune runs that 16lbs is the best. The Tires are M/T ET Streets, 28" tall, 13.2 section width and 11.2 tread width.

Cranky- no direct sunlight should make them fine especially when inside the slicks. 35yrs., awesome.
It amazed me to the max!! Kinda sitting on the fence post whether or not to keep them but even if I do get back on the 1/4 mile (or 1/8 mile which I hate), it will most likely be with a much smaller tire....can't save everything tho :(

I would love to, but. I don't want to put screws in. However glue has been very effective. What do you do when you get a flat? I've had flats numerous times. I'd love to try them for the stiffening aspect.
Doug

Hell I can't get the rubber bowl gaskets to stay pliable for a year......Lol!

I run Phoenix tires without tubes. but they are screwed. They just don't hold air for long periods. I love the Phoenix Tires. Had all three Goodyears, Hoosiers, and these I personally prefer these but, its just my preference.

Last edited:
I run MT 28x9's with tubes at 16-1/2 lbs. I couldn't bring myself to drill my new rims last year, so I tried permatex high-tack. Went the whole season without any tire movement. I'm not real fast, but the car is heavy so I'm putting a decent load to them. No issues.

I run MT 28x9's with tubes at 16-1/2 lbs. I couldn't bring myself to drill my new rims last year, so I tried permatex high-tack. Went the whole season without any tire movement. I'm not real fast, but the car is heavy so I'm putting a decent load to them. No issues.
I thought about roughing up the bead lip on the wheel some to help give it some tooth and use a product similar to that.

The real fast guys with glued tires, also have the inside bead-edge of the rims knurled.

Looked at pair of Firestone & Goodyear race tubes that I stored in climate controlled room since '91. They are still nice & soft & pliable. They are from the mid '80's as my spare pair. My current car runs tubeless, no screws. One slick moved about 1" after the first couple runs, then stayed in place for the next 50 runs.

Looked at pair of Firestone & Goodyear race tubes that I stored in climate controlled room since '91. They are still nice & soft & pliable. They are from the mid '80's as my spare pair. My current car runs tubeless, no screws. One slick moved about 1" after the first couple runs, then stayed in place for the next 50 runs.
What brand and size are they and what psi do you run in them?

The tires on current car are 10.5 x 28.5 Phoenix. I've run them mostly at 13.5 to 15.5 PSI at a track with good traction. Plan to go up from there based on what the pictures show. Also have many new parts, different spring, shocks, motor, trans now. Initially I had tried 18 - 20 PSI & car didn't like that ( may have been track conditions). Car is 3670, ran 11.13 to 11.35.

I just tried the liquid dish soap trick inside my Mickeys.
It was a bust. Still leaking.
Probably going to put tubes in this year.

I used 3M weatherstrip spray adhesive inside mine, 3 coats. Has held up great.

Dawn dish soap on a sponge, slop it on. That along with glue on the beads. I marked my tires. They haven't moved more that 1/2" on the rim (been 1.240/60). Before glue they moved 180 degrees in 20 passes. No air has been added to them since September.
Doug

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back