• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who uses USAA ?

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:20 PM
Reaction score
What can you tell me about them from personal experience ?

What can you tell me about them from personal experience ?
Awesome! I’ve had them since the late 1970s. I’ve never had a problem with them and I highly recommend their insurance products.

Had them since 1980. Fantastic company. They know military and military family needs. Always are polite and helpful, respectful and thorough. No snow jobs, no BS, no sales pitch and they guard your info and privacy like nobody else. The rates are favorable as well. I cannot recommend them enough! A+++++

I called to get a car insurance quote, they were double for 6 months of I pay for a year with AAA. They must have bumped their heads thinking that was a good price!

I've heard nothing but good about them, but when I got a quote from them, I found better pricing elsewhere.

I suppose that if lowest price is a goal then they may not be for everyone. No disrespect intended. No judgement here...

I tried them for Homeowners insurance and they were thru the roof, double what I'm paying now. I would shop around and even try an insurance broker because that is where I got the best deal.

Gotta keep brokers honest too, I just fired my broker of 10 years when I shopped around myself and saved 600 a year on auto and 120 a year on homeowners for the exact same coverages.

Best I have ever used!
Bar-None, however for 2 BIG ticket cars I use Haggerty....
Home, Auto I use USAA
Been a member for many years
My quote: remember, anyone can get AMICA or AAA Insurance, USAA is exclusive!

Best insurance company on the planet, hands down. My dad was in the military and was with USAA from the time he started his service (1958) until he died in 2016. He was out by 1963 but they always addressed him as "Lieutenant". I've been insured by them since 1987 and will never switch.

If it means anything to you, their customer service is excellent and based in the US.

Sorry but they are a very bad company. Many of you here have had or are part of the Military Community but you are missing one important point here. They are a Direct Line Underwriter of Insurance products in the same fashion as St Farm, All State, Progressive, etc. They were started initially for Officers only and many of their employees left to form GEICO. A far better Insurance Company then USAA. The have a poor loss ration when it comes to claims resolution, will decline existing coverage if you move to a State that has more risk exposure like Hurricane prone areas, flooding, etc. because they consider it "New Business." In fact this is a very shady way of dealing with Insureds because you do not want to assume the risk so you decline and terminate their existing policies. This happened to me while I was with them. And their Banking and Investment side is also under scrutiny for practices not in their liking as opposed to what the business dictates. They broker their Homeowners out and therefore do not directly write that type of policy. I also have over 10 plus years in the Insurance business and there isn't a thing that any Company can pull over my eyes. So all you that tout that USAA is the tops, blah, blah, blah, are just pissing your hard earned money down the proverbial drain. There are far better companies out there with far better rates, and much better serving of their clients. Walk away from USAA. They "FOOKIN" SUCK!!! Then let your fingers do the walking. And that folks is My Humble Opinion...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag::usflag::usflag:

Sorry but they are a very bad company. Many of you here have had or are part of the Military Community but you are missing one important point here. They are a Direct Line Underwriter of Insurance products in the same fashion as St Farm, All State, Progressive, etc. They were started initially for Officers only and many of their employees left to form GEICO. A far better Insurance Company then USAA. The have a poor loss ration when it comes to claims resolution, will decline existing coverage if you move to a State that has more risk exposure like Hurricane prone areas, flooding, etc. because they consider it "New Business." In fact this is a very shady way of dealing with Insureds because you do not want to assume the risk so you decline and terminate their existing policies. This happened to me while I was with them. And their Banking and Investment side is also under scrutiny for practices not in their liking as opposed to what the business dictates. They broker their Homeowners out and therefore do not directly write that type of policy. I also have over 10 plus years in the Insurance business and there isn't a thing that any Company can pull over my eyes. So all you that tout that USAA is the tops, blah, blah, blah, are just pissing your hard earned money down the proverbial drain. There are far better companies out there with far better rates, and much better serving of their clients. Walk away from USAA. They "FOOKIN" SUCK!!! Then let your fingers do the walking. And that folks is My Humble Opinion...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag::usflag::usflag:

AMEN to all that! USAA is a horrible outfit to deal with. A tornado takes out most of my stuff in 2003. I had USAA on my two trucks, while I had Allstate on my house, and Hagerty on my old cars. Hagerty settled in full in five days. Allstate was fantastic, and settled in two weeks. USAA wanted to total my '96 Dodge 3500 Cummins, I said "he'll, no, fix it!", which they reluctantly did - needed a replacement bed, paint work, and two windows...I did all the legwork finding a bed and tailgate. My '70 F250, a restored truck I got from.my Dad, was destroyed. Two pro appraisals a month before the tornado, put the truck at $8K. The ba$tards at USAA offered $2,250. Told them to stuff that up their *** (my exact words!)...so we went to the State Insurance Board for arbitration. The adjuster from USAA insisted it was an air conditioned truck that had that removed (never had air!) and it had a color change from blue to dark red (only spot anywhere that was blue was under the cab!)...he didn't know squat about old Fords!...Settled at $5,575. And I kept the truck. Once my Dodge left the body shop, I called USAA and told them to shove their insurance up their ***, and I would be their best NEGATIVE advertiser for life. Scumbags kept trying until 2014 to get my business back. I kept sending their junk mail in shreds back to them in their postage-paid envelopes. They finally got the message.

Last edited:
Great service, been with them since 86. Recently added property and rentals, saved approx 1/3 from farmers.

Great service, been with them since 86. Recently added property and rentals, saved approx 1/3 from farmers.
All I can say is just wait until a catastrophic loss happens to you and then see how you would be taken care of. They just do not care and as long as you are squeaky clean then no problems. One hickup or claim and BOHECA will be the end game. Just sayin' is all...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

All I can say is just wait until a catastrophic loss happens to you and then see how you would be taken care of. They just do not care and as long as you are squeaky clean then no problems. One hickup or claim and BOHECA will be the end game. Just sayin' is all...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Had a pipe burst on new years after our former tenant decided to leave in one of the rentals. Farmers was a PIA, took 3.5 months to get it ready to rent. They didn't cover much of our loss. USAA has it spelled out in detailed line by line format, including total loss and up to 15% in addition of total loss. Farmers just can't compete. Glad your in the know.

Farmers did not have any provisions for rental loss, USAA does at agreed values. I'm not afraid to have a spirited conversation with any USAA board member.:lol:

Last edited:
Husband and I have been with them a year,completely happy with them.It was back in March,he hit a turkey with his truck damaging the windshield.Covered it without a problem.

We are looking at switching over due to our local Nationwide agent retiring. We have had Nationwide for 30+ years. We have 3 vehicles, homeowners and umbrella policy through them. We never had any issues with them, but figured if we were going to switch...now would be the best time. We are both under the 3 year mark to final retirement and moving to a more financially friendly state (ny is horrible).
Basically we would like to save a little money, if we can find equivelent coverage for less than we are paying now.

Auto Transport Service
Back