• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who's running an AGM battery?

YY1

Local time
7:04 PM
Reaction score
I've recently had good luck with combo deep cycle/RV batteries lasting at least as long as they are rated, when "normal" batteries seem to be giving up 33% sooner.

My 2017 "48 month" combo won't charge over 10 volts and I'm thinking of getting an AGM this time to replace it.

The same combo/deep battery as I am replacing is $85.

The AGM is $160.

I usually drive my 73 to work on Fridays and shopping and visits on Saturdays when it's not raining and on special occasions.

I'm also considering buying a second one to use in various project cars that don't road drive.
Is this a good move?

I have had optima reds in my diesel pickup. They were both replaced once under warrantee, then when they needed replacing again, 8 checked to see how old they were, expecting about four. They were eight years old, and one is still strong at ten.
I decided not to replace them with reds. The two reds would have been over $500, the Costco interstates were around $200. If they last half as long, I figure I'm ahead.
My Opel has a horrible (no, make that HORRIBLE ) battery access, but the six year old red top is going strong. When it quits, it's gonna get another red top.
Get a dedicated charger, if you get one. My $25 hf one works fine.

I'm running a Mixtech battery in my work van.....CCA is around 900A......and it fells about 4 times faster than the 500CCA battery which was nearly dead. Just in time for the onset of winter here too. The starting on my diesel was getting a bit sluggish lately.

https://www.mixtech.kiwi/

1654474882792.png

For my 70 RR I just swapped in a new Optima red-top, replacing an older red-top installed in 2009. 13 years is pretty good life for a battery....

Just my $0.02.... :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back