• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why am I always the last to know?

zyzzyx

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:00 PM
Reaction score
So, I just got my new Stainless gas tank in and found out that MY 68 GTX didn't come with a vapor return line after looking at the pic of my old tank and sending unit! My new sending unit has the return line provision, and from what I've been reading it's better to have it than not. Twenty years ago when I ordered the stainless 3/8" fuel line I didn't order the return line because my old sending unit didn't have one. Now I had to hunt down a return line. $100.00 from Mancini and $89.00 tax & shipping. OUCH! Which leads me to my next problem: No return line, no vapor separator canister! Not paying $60.00 for a repro look-alike, so I did some homework and found that Wix makes a nice little piece for around $9.00. Ha! They discontinued them! #33041. I found and bought a couple of 33040 Wix, but they have the 5/16" main inlet & outlet. Still looking! So now I need cinch clamps for the fuel hoses. AHA!
DSCF8519.JPG
20211117_145303.jpg
carter_pummp.jpg
20211123_103212.jpg
20211123_120646.jpg
20211123_120903[3705].jpg
DSC04463.JPG
Apollo makes stainless steel PEX clamps at Home Depot for $5.99/10 pcs. I had to buy the special pliers to crimp them, but I found some on Flea-Bay for $20.00. Lately I'm spending more time surfing the net than working on my car! Anyone know who carries the small black clip that holds the short vent line to the shock mount brace?

Pretty sure the early models didn't use a "vapor cannister" - just the filter with return line. I was always curious why some cars got a return line and some not. My 69 383 RR did not have a return line. I thought it was probably a 440/hemi only thing.

You'll also find that the actual OE fuel feed line was 5/16, while the sender unit output spigot is the only thing that's 3/8ths. That was still fact in '70 and the vapour return unit is 5/16ths in and out with a 1/4" return.

Unless you are running an electric fuel pump that has high pressure and volume, 5/16" or even 1/4" return is more than enough.

Who's gonna tell him about the repro sending unit? :)

I did pretty much the same, but used an inline
charcoal filter for a brake booster vacuum line.
Nice work.

Auto Transport Service
Back