• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why "chin" spoilers?

Dibbons

Local time
1:14 AM
Reaction score
It seems the 1971 B-Body Plymouth "chin" style front spoilers came out of nowhere. I don't remember a race car ever using that style (but maybe some did). I wonder if this was just a designer trying something a little bit different, or if some "wind" tunnel test indicated that these two plastic boomerangs improved aerodynamics? Did this style actually debut on earlier year Mopars?

spoiler.jpg

I agree, it looks like a styling decision, not something that actually looks effective or race inspired.

Much of that is for looks/styling, people buy cars that emulate a racecar, so sometimes exterior components like that will make the car look more aggressive, and more like a Brady Bunch car without them.

There's a saying in the racing world: aerodynamics come into play as soon as the car starts moving. Granted, at lower speeds they're primarily ineffective, but it's amazing what they can do at higher speeds. The aerodynamics on the Viper TA increased by 700 percent over the standard Viper. The rear diffuser on the ACR needed to be cut down because at speed there was so much downforce that the diffuser was actually scraping the pavement and creating drag.

I've had friends who had pictures taken of their cars at speed on the track and compared it to a picture of the car standing still; the car dropped about an inch or more... with a small spoiler on the rear deck. The small splitters on the front fenders of cars like the Viper ACR and all the ricers we see are actually very effective, even though they're small like those on the Road Runner pictured above.

I have a small chin spoiler on my Belvedere, and initially it was to direct air to where I was going to mount my PS cooler. The cooler didn't fit well, so I mounted it elsewhere and left the chin spoiler. It directs some under-bumper air up into the radiator at higher speeds, and that helps. It's hard to see, and it's home made, so nothing real fancy

WeldNitto-24.jpg

71 and up B Body styling by Chrysler Designer John Herlitz is known as the fuselage design. Aerodynamics were coming into vogue. The chin spoiler on my 09 Challenger allows me to scrape every parking bumper in California. For real world I suspect it's more trouble than it's worth. Ground speed very rarely over triple digits.

Like the chin spoilers on the Cuda, styling, and it make our B body's the coolest looking car IMO. John Herlitz and his team did a great job !

roadrunner 018.jpg

Last edited:
After I added the front spoiler to my '71 Charger, it definitely feels more stable when I get over 80. However, as the spoiler is fiberglass, I'd be afraid it would just rip off the car at speeds much over 100.

On the 3rd gen Charger it also helps direct more air into the engine bay therefore adding cooling. The ones on the RRs and Sattys don't look like they would do much. Prolly styling as mentioned.

Petty's car above is mostly for cooling and to limit airflow under the car to some extent, otherwise the vertical wings would not be there. Speeds above 80 are things start taking noticeable effect, but, anyway, I like the chin spoilers on the 71's despite all of the whiners.

just another reason why the 71 Plymouth b body
is one of the coolest offerings ma mopar ever gave us..

I'm a 71 owner but have had more 72 Roadrunners and I'll have to say that 72 grille is probably my favorite..and also love the tail lights..
I have a 72 grille I may put in my 71.

Pure styling IMO. I had a 71 Cuda but didnt think they looked good on the Cuda. The RR is a different story. I think its the best looking front end of any Mopar.
IMG_6648.JPG
IMG_6675.JPG

I'll say on the roadrunners it's for style and I might add god is it sexy. On the chargers I'm sure it's still mostly for looks but it does funnel alot of air to the rad. And helps with down force but being a street car there all just for looks you'll never get it to the point it will start actually make a difference.

They used them in road racing for front-end down force, the 70 AAR and T/A had a 'street' version...those look cool on your B's!

Auto Transport Service
Back