• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is one connecting rod red?

YY1

Local time
4:50 AM
Reaction score
Found this yesterday.

The rod, the cap and the bots and nuts have a red hue.

The engine ran great and only has 60K original miles.
IMG_20160905_130035.jpg

Either that rod is rusty(?) or maybe somebody magnafluxed that particular rod at one time looking for cracks.

I have a stock set of 383 rods that have a copper plating on them. Looks like the one in your pic. Not sure why the plating is there. Maybe to prevent stress risers.

Maybe pull that cap and look for scaring. It might have run hot...

Is that what normally happens if it's run hot?

I don't think I've ever seen that.

It did run a bit hot when the last freeze plug went, but nothing I wasn't more than mildly uncomfortable with.

I drove it several times after that for short distances and no hard starting, or anything like that.

Big end was out of spec so it was dipped in copper from the factory and re honed.

Big end was out of spec so it was dipped in copper from the factory and re honed.
Have heard of that before and it makes sense. I also have some 'B' engine rods that are done that way...

Interesting......

Is that what normally happens if it's run hot?
In order for it to get discolored by overheating, the engine would have had to have been red hot (and probably would have seized) and all the others would look the same.

Auto Transport Service
Back