• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why would my windshield wipers

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:19 PM
Reaction score
work incorrectly? If I put the wipers on they would park in the upright position. I know, I know just put the wipers down near the cowl but when I do that the wipers want to go over the cowl and not go up towards the windshield. Is this a linkage problem or motor problem?

When they run I assume they sweep the windshield correctly? Like an inch above the lower windshield trim and up. If they sweep correctly then your park switch cover assembly is probably oriented in the wrong location. Did they work correctly previously?

When they run I assume they sweep the windshield correctly? Like an inch above the lower windshield trim and up. If they sweep correctly then your park switch cover assembly is probably oriented in the wrong location. Did they work correctly previously?
No they don't sweep correctly, when I put them above the trim they want to go over the cowl, opposite direction. They did work correctly, until I put a new motor in because the old motor wouldn't park.

You said they park upright... so from that I assumed they were sweeping correctly and just parking in the wrong spot. That can be the park switch assembly that can be rotated to different positions. Leave the wipers off to play with it..

As for the old motor, if it did everything put park you probably only needed to work on the park switch.

You said they park upright... so from that I assumed they were sweeping correctly and just parking in the wrong spot. That can be the park switch assembly that can be rotated to different positions. Leave the wipers off to play with it..

As for the old motor, if it did everything put park you probably only needed to work on the park switch.
Yes, I said that because they were going over the cowl instead of going up so for the heck of it I put them on upwards. It worked but then they were going down into the cowl. I have no idea if I'm making sense. Where is the park switch assembly?

Yep, you're losing me as the linkage set up only allows a 95 or so degree sweep. So not sure how they could park in the up positon and still sweep down across the cowl. Park switch is in the lid on the motor... IF it's a 3 speed. Something we should have ?'d to start with. If it's a 2 speed or even a 3 speed, are you sure you didn't put the motor shaft "arm" on 180 degrees out (and I'm not even sure you can do that as I think it's "keyed")

Yep, you're losing me as the linkage set up only allows a 95 or so degree sweep. So not sure how they could park in the up positon and still sweep down across the cowl. Park switch is in the lid on the motor... IF it's a 3 speed. Something we should have ?'d to start with. If it's a 2 speed or even a 3 speed, are you sure you didn't put the motor shaft "arm" on 180 degrees out (and I'm not even sure you can do that as I think it's "keyed")
Yeah, I lost myself lol Yes, its a 3 speed. Is the lid on the motor the gold cover? Looks like there are bolts on the end, take them off to get to it? Yes, you can only put the motor on one way, its keyed. Maybe the park switch needs adjusting? Its like its going backwards... I think.

Let me try again. If the switch is off, its parked. If I put the wipers going horizontal and turn on the switch the wipers go down.

3speedwipercoverinstructions.jpeg

The internals under the cover. I can't find the other picture I have that shows different cover orientation for E bodies vs B bodies.. but this drawing shows where it should be on a B body.

Put some tape on the wiper arm mounting shafts and mark a line. Turn the wipers on and make sure they only go back and forth for that 95 degree or so sweep. If so from that you can then determine where the arms should mount and correctly sweep the glass (but don't put them on!). Then you can sort out why the assembly is parking at the wrong end of the rotation. Maybe that "new" motor has been assembled wrong.

View attachment 1377673
The internals under the cover. I can't find the other picture I have that shows different cover orientation for E bodies vs B bodies.. but this drawing shows where it should be on a B body.

Put some tape on the wiper arm mounting shafts and mark a line. Turn the wipers on and make sure they only go back and forth for that 95 degree or so sweep. If so from that you can then determine where the arms should mount and correctly sweep the glass (but don't put them on!). Then you can sort out why the assembly is parking at the wrong end of the rotation. Maybe that "new" motor has been assembled wrong.
Thanks Dadsbee, I'll give it a try.

It is possible to put the linkage arm in the dash on the motor the wrong way.
I've done it and had results like he describes.

Just use Rain-X :poke:

:steering:

It is possible to put the linkage arm in the dash on the motor the wrong way.
I've done it and had results like he describes.
Really, do you mean take the linkage off and move it 180 degrees? That would move the pivots in a different position correct?

Was my thought in post #6. Picture above shows, I think, that the arm will fit either way.
Yes, I see in the picture, I can try and disconnect and put in on the other way. This may solve the problem, its worth a shot but getting in there is tough, I have the radio, ashtray and glove box removed, that should help some.

It's possible to put the arm on the motor before mounting the motor. Not easy but it can be done.

It's possible to put the arm on the motor before mounting the motor. Not easy but it can be done.
I just took a look at it, I'm going to remove the heater box, since i have classic air going in. I then can get it from the bottom. Looking at it should move the pivots 180 degrees which should fix it...I hope. I just hope that damn spring washer doesn't pop off.

Auto Transport Service
Back