• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wife and I had a wonderful day at the Cruise Against Cancer - and I made the news!

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:04 PM
Reaction score
This was our first time at this event and it took driving the ol' GTX about 55 miles each way, which is a little out of my comfort zone with her (especially in warmer weather, which cooks the both of us pretty good in the car).
No matter - the show was important and as you'll see in the video, I had a calling to attend and I wasn't about to ignore it.
ALL proceeds of this show go to local families with members going through the whole cancer deal, a pond I've swam in a few times myself as some of you know (ok, 4 times).
Like I said, important stuff here. Screw unemployment or whatever, time to go to the show!

First, the link to the Knoxville news stations' report and yes, that's both me and the GTX seen in it in several places:
https://www.wbir.com/article/news/1...wport/51-a05d4ff1-66e4-46a8-8a5d-e80fedba1a77

I got talked into being interviewed by the reporter by the event hosts and was hesitant (I ain't blind, I know how grisly I'm looking these days) - but they insisted it would help the cause, so I couldn't say no.
I must admit, the reporter did a good job of editing so that I don't come off as a total idiot, which I've already thanked him for. :)

Here's a few raggedy pics of things:
IMG_20200620_082816013_HDR.jpg

We stopped off about halfway down for the obligatory Waffle House breakfast. I had the GTX all shined up and we drove through some thick fog on the way, which cleared about the time we hit the restaurant.
The food was awesome, of course. Always is. :)

Some shots at the event:
IMG_20200620_114108287_HDR.jpg

The queen relaxing in the nice spot we found to set up. Newport, TN has a really nice city park and although I've been through that town a hundred times over the years, this was the first time I'd ever been to their lovely park!

IMG_20200620_114139165_HDR.jpg

This was a WELL organized event (I believe their 12th annual) and there was lots to eat and drink, tons of tee shirts (mandatory in my book!) and goody bags and dash plaques, of course. Everyone was just as friendly and nice as could be.....
I knew a few folks who also attended, but I never found out which one of them dropped the dime on me to the organizers about my history with effing cancer, that rat baaastahd. :)
Little did I know what I was being set up for....

IMG_20200620_114209096_HDR.jpg

Trying to get artsy with my phone camera - LOVED that big Mercury convertible!
The event hosts had constant games and contests going on, not to mention a professional DJ set up playing the usual assortment of 50's and 60's music.

I had just gotten done wiping off all the road crap from the GTX when I was approached by the young man from the news station, who I'd been warned might come over for a chat.
Next thing you know - old man poster child!
Well, I hope I did them some good anyways - and I learned why I had been "summoned" to attend to begin with.
I did my best.

Oh, the wife was being a bit devious when the news fella was setting up for our interview, unbeknownst to me. Behind the scenes stuff. Hope this link works:

Last edited:
Well done and for a good cause too. :thumbsup:
Thanks my friend. Absolutely true.
They cut out a lot of our chat, the reporter and I, some of which I was telling him about how the people
at car shows just sort of "bond" with one another and we treat each other like long-lost friends even if
we've never met before - and there was TONS of that today.
The wife is getting used to me insisting on stopping and visiting with folks as we made our way around
today and although the atmosphere was really upbeat, I did chat with a couple different folks who had
just lost loved ones to cancer very recently (including one family just this last week).
Laughed a lot, told the usual car stories, all of that - but we cried a little, too.
Just an amazing event.

That is always a good show :thumbsup:
Your car is beautiful too.
Thanky kindly, but you know she's a good 20 footer is all - but she gets a ton of attention for sure.
I made the comment to my wife at one point in the show yesterday that everyone who approached
us wanted to talk about the color more than anything mechanical about the car. :)

Thanks for posting this Ed. It's great that you're involved in such a good cause. The Almighty is using you to bless others. So, when do you start your new broadcast career?:D

Thanks for posting this Ed. It's great that you're involved in such a good cause. The Almighty is using you to bless others. So, when do you start your new broadcast career?:D
Oh Lord LOL.
I'm not exaggerating when I say the sight of my own mug shocks me - so I can only imagine how
it strikes others. They aren't kidding when they say ones' face shows the miles lived...

That's really great, you did good!

Great story Ed! That was a very good idea to pack your trepidations away to make the extended trip in the GTX. I’ll bet that you were an inspiration to others. Good on you!

Looks like it was a great show for a great cause! Nice looking GTX! Life is so short we need to enjoy it more with family and friends..

Thanks Ed for the pics and the vid. Thanks for attending the cause, looks like a great event. Your car looks awesome. Wish I could have been there.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oh boy, another celebrity! :lol:

Great to see people out and about in your neck of the woods. You're looking good, car's looking good, wifes looking good...I better stop. Hey thanks for sharing!

Auto Transport Service
Back