• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will 400 parts interchange with a 440

dodge68charger

Local time
7:14 AM
Reaction score
Will parts such as the water pump,dip stick pulleys, etc. interchange on a 440 engine from a 400 engine. Thanks

I am not sure
383 and 440, some will interchange
But I'm not sure about a 440 to 440
I'd gamble and say NO

Some of the external parts will interchange! No internal though! V/C, oil pan, dip stick & tube, water pump and housing, heads. etc.

The heads, valve covers, water pump, accessory brackets, accessories, oil pan, timing cover, pulleys, dip stick will all interchange. Intake manifold and distributor will not. Harmonic balancer depends on internal/external balance.

The following will NOT interchange:
Block, pistons, connecting rods, push rods, intake manifold, crankshaft, main bearings, valley pan, distributor

The following WILL interchange:
Heads, valve covers, timing cover, rear main seal retainer, oil pan, oil pump pickup, oil pump, rod bearings, camshaft, lifters, cam bearings, timing chain set, harmonic balancer (cast 440 only), water pump housing, water pump, pullys, exhaust manifolds, carb, oil slinger, and I could have missed something...

Thanks for the Replies guys.. Exactly the info i was looking for! Thank you for the help

I know the crankshaft pulley and power steering pump from my 73 / 400 would not fit my 68 / 440. The center hole of thecrankshaft pulley was just a touch smaller and the newer power steering set up required a threaded hole in the side of the block but my 440 had no hole. Oil pan transferred over just fine.

Certain setups are different depending on the year of the car/truck. 100 amp alternators have different brackets and the same with different styles of power steering pumps. 440source.com has some decent info on most of the stuff too. http://www.440source.com/

Auto Transport Service
Back