• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will it fit?

Red Cricket

Local time
4:52 AM
Reaction score
G Day All, A quick question on fitting a sure grip 8 3/4" with springs from a 1970 Challenger into a 1965 dodge Coronet 440. Would like to use leaf springs if possible. Thanks for your time and Knowledge. RC

Short answer no. The 8 3/4 chunk will work, but locate a 65-67 housing and axles for that chunk. You can move the spring perches on the E body housing, but then you will be limited on stock rims sizes.

Housing width is wider by several inches (3") and probably perches.
housing.JPG

Thanks everyone. Just seen a complete rear end including springs from 70 challenger...( 1500.00) wheels started turning ..then they came to a stop! sounds like a decent price.

If you're able to cut and weld metal you can make it work but you'd need the '65 'B' length axles. Don't know if the 'E' springs would fit...might end up being more $$$ than expected...(what else is new lol)

$1500 For 8.75 and old springs.WAY to much and is a poor choice. Sorry that is the way I see it.

TY Fran....just dont hear much on mopar stuff around here. Went to swap meet yesterday and was totally disapointed with the lacking of mopar parts. SO... I should just look for a sure-trac for my 65 coronet and upgrade to rear disc brakes? TKS again ALL!

You can add that center section to your existing 8 3/4 in the 65, it will fit in and work with your 65 axles no problem. $1500 is too much though.

TY Fran....just dont hear much on mopar stuff around here. Went to swap meet yesterday and was totally disapointed with the lacking of mopar parts. SO... I should just look for a sure-trac for my 65 coronet and upgrade to rear disc brakes? TKS again ALL!
You don't mention what's in there now. Runcharger's addice is the best if you have an 8.75 now. Get a serice manual from my mopar will help a lot. They don't list a 65 Dodge SM but for mechanical things just download 66 Coronet. https://mymopar.com/service-manuals/

It is 2" wider (1"each side) than a 69 Charger, perches probably need moving.
Well that just sux. Please correct me if i'm wrong but i'm thinking i would have to move the perches and have a bigger backspace to make it work or sale/trade for a shorter 8 3/4? Thanks for the timely response. I'm new to the forum and it is greatly appreciated!

Well that just sux. Please correct me if i'm wrong but i'm thinking i would have to move the perches and have a bigger backspace to make it work or sale/trade for a shorter 8 3/4? Thanks for the timely response. I'm new to the forum and it is greatly appreciated!
I would personally rather find one that fits. Lots of 4 drs out there too.

Auto Transport Service
Back