• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will MP cast valve covers clear roller rockers(440)?

Grabbergreendream

Local time
8:52 PM
Reaction score
Getting ready to pull the pin on the Mopar Performance black cast aluminum valve covers from Summit since I've got a $25 discount to use. Upon looking at the website, I see they list them as stock height, which concerns me. I have 440Source stealth heads with their roller rocker setup currently getting put together by my engine builder. The cam is not extreme, with 513 lift. I just want to see if anyone here can verify they've used this combo and been o.k. or had any issues with any similar setups.
Thanks in advance. Any input is greatly appreciated!

I'm running Edelbrock RPM heads with .587 lift, Hughes roller rockers and cast Mopar VCs. No issues.
Mike

I have Trick Flow 240s and the 440 Source rockers. I tried a set of Moroso stamped steel covers and they hit the hold downs. Got a set of fabbed wide body covers from Mancini worked like a charm.

I'm running a set of them on my 452 heads with Comp Mag rockers with zero issues. If I remember correctly they have pretty low profile baffles in the covers?

The MP covers should clear your rockers but they are a little hard to get to seal up since the flange is too wide and has a step in it. You might be better off using a different brand of valve cover with a flat flange. Of course, it depends on which heads you are using and what you want the engine to look like. I used to use MP valve covers on my engines but I eventually got tired of the leaks and switched to a better cover with a nice flat flange.

The MP covers should clear your rockers but they are a little hard to get to seal up since the flange is too wide and has a step in it. You might be better off using a different brand of valve cover with a flat flange. Of course, it depends on which heads you are using and what you want the engine to look like. I used to use MP valve covers on my engines but I eventually got tired of the leaks and switched to a better cover with a nice flat flange.

Question, what valve cover did you switch to?
Thanks in advance

Kirk

I've restored and customized dozens of sets of those for customers with modified valve train / heads and none have reported clearance issues.

If yours is also a show car though, you might be curious to know how they really look. Out of the three versions available (as cast / natural, polished and black wrinkle finish), I personally believe they pick out the absolute worst castings for the black wrinkle variety and then apply a **** ton of paint to cover up all the castings defects. This is what they really look like underneath ... and the "Made in California" ones are even worse.

MP valve cover before.jpg

MP valve cover before2.jpg

MP valve covers before 3.jpg

The first valley under the knock out on the right hand side is often so rough it can actually cut you open. This example is mild compared to most.

MP valve covers before 4.jpg

They also come with two baffle plates and mounting bolts.

They're a lot of work but they can turn out really sweet.
Ed Ward MPs.jpg

Greg Reynolds MPs.jpg

What he said... I’ve never liked those valve covers. The flat flange cast valve covers on an aftermarket head with flat gaskets is guaranteed to end any leaks.

They are taller. I have a brand new set in the box. I painted them silver. Then I found a pair of polished ones at a good price. So I bought them. I will sell them at a good price

I have Trick Flow 240s and the 440 Source rockers. I tried a set of Moroso stamped steel covers and they hit the hold downs. Got a set of fabbed wide body covers from Mancini worked like a charm.
Got any pics of the ones you got from Mancini?

I had a set on my 240 TF with 1.6 rockers with no issues. Ran on the dyno with out any leaks.

I've got 1.5 Comp Magnum rockers on my 452 heads with zero issues.

I had a set on my 240 TF with 1.6 rockers with no issues. Ran on the dyno with out any leaks.
And then didn't clear the air conditioning connections? But what you have now looks good.

Trick Flow heads, roller rockers, no leaks............

Edelbrock Victor heads, roller rockers, no leaks..........

Edelbrock RPM heads, roller rockers, no leaks............

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back