• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

will they fit

Red Cricket

Local time
11:43 PM
Reaction score
G morning all, This will go on a 65 coronet with stock equip. seller says 80"s (2) 275/60/15...8" cop wheels and (2) 235/70/15....8" cop wheels. I found these for sale. I may need to inquire about backspace. Unless all cop wheels are the same. Tks for your time !

If they're originally 8" with the slots - not widened or re-barreled - those are SuperCoupe wheels (Volare/Aspen) and worth some money.
Cop wheels were narrower, 7" IIRC. Backspace is typically 4.5" on 8s and 4.25" on 7s, measured inside the bead.
My only early-B Mopar steelie fitments are on '63 & '64 wagons; 7s w 255/70s had plenty of room but 8s with 285/70s (photo) were tight, and that was after I'd narrowed the rearend a bit.

63donerr.jpg

The slotted Police wheels were 7" wide with provision for hub caps. The optional slotted wheels on ' 78-'79 Dodge Magnum were 8" wide with no provision for hub caps.

Topside is right on the money. You can get aftermarket 8in cops with a 4 1/2 BS from Summit. Wheel Vintiques IIRC have a set on my 68 R/R.

he is asking 500 with 95% cooper cobra tires. yes there slotted and provisions for dog dish cap. wheels are 8" wide. Is 8" to wide up front for my car with the above tires??

Typical fender interference on pretty much all Mopars 62-up is at the bottom front corner of the wheel opening.
Usually a 1" cut at a 45-degree angle solves that.
Widest fronts I've run on an early B were 6 x15s, and the disc brake conversion pushes the track width a bit wider than original drums.
On a 68-up, a 265/50 on 8x15 had plenty of clearance, though.

I would inquire as to how he is measuring the wheels. Bead seat to bead seat , or out side edge to outside edge ??
Makes a lot of difference !!!

Frank

^^^ Yup - and I've seen wheel places use both.
I was taught a LONG time ago to use the bead seating area.
Another consideration for filling the wheel wells is of course the sidewall bulge, which changes a bit with rim width.

Auto Transport Service
Back